Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

P.H. Ratrod
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
What a shame,

Has anyone ever seen this P.H.? Saw the photo on a rat rod forum.

http://jburtphotos.com/images/ggkc107.jpg

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/8/16 22:46
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print 

Re: P.H. Ratrod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mike, a lemon squeezer would be a suitable radiator mascot.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 4:35
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I know this going to sound like treason, but except for the Packard lettering and of course the garish color, I kind of like it. It comes close to the statemnt I have always adhered to, that if Studebaker had made a convertible out of the Loewey designs we might still be buying them. They were some of the best looking cars on the road.

ALK

Posted on: 2011/8/17 5:53
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Doesn't really look like anything fatally irreversible with some dedicated craftsmanship. I wonder if the roof was shot and they just decided to go ahead and cut it out. Couldn't be good for the integrity of the body and chassis unless they did other major mods.

AL, I think that's why the convertibles never surfaced... how much reinforcement would've been necessary, and how heavy would the result have been?

Posted on: 2011/8/22 19:43
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
....I think that's why the convertibles never surfaced... how much reinforcement would've been necessary, and how heavy would the result have been?

Something I never understood either. Good styling but then they coupled the coupes with a fairly weak and flexing frame. I had read Loewy group et al was all about keeping it light and low but maybe they went too far. Much as I like the 62-4 Gran Turismo Hawks, they still had the reputation of cracks. The sedan frames were comparatively robust. Believe the sedan frame was the basic starting point and just minor mods for the Larks and Avanti & used till the end.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 20:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
The link below points to an article about a '53 convertible built by a (former) Studebaker employee - with proper reinforcement.....

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2006/08/01/hmn_feature8.html

Posted on: 2011/9/7 13:16
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

3spdOD
See User information
Given the example of that '53, is anyone working on a '58 Caribbean?

Posted on: 2012/8/8 21:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Why would anyone do that to a Studebaker?

Posted on: 2012/8/8 23:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There is a Packard Hawk convertible in the Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Supposedly some sort of factory experiment (not sure about the documentation). As you can imagine, the car's design is meant to be a coupe. Turning it into a convertible makes it looks like the dog's lunch during a bout with stomach indigestion.

Posted on: 2012/8/9 9:44
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Yes... someone is working on a 58 Caribbean--at least in their twisted mind! Please see link below. I apologize for the colors which somehow got way off after I scanned this relic. But most of you Packard boys have Dover White/Roman Copper/Danube blue memorized. Actually, in the more accurate parlance of SP's paint colors in 1958, the scheme would be:

"Parchment White"
"Waterfall Blue"
"Canyon Copper Poly"

This would be a very easy transformation (it already has a "hood scoop" on the hood!),and the standard fabric of the hardtop was quite similar to the woven upholstery on the 56 Caribbean. With some changes in the leather bolsters in a combination of coordinated blues and off-whites, the interior could be stunning and a suitable continuation of the Caribbean design intent.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.91 KB)
4212_5025208ec58e4.jpg 1280X930 px

Posted on: 2012/8/10 10:01
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved