Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 92

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: Here is what happened today. What would you do next?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
looking over Kevin's engine build, why did you guys put in expansion plugs in the front lifter gally holes that go to the cam plate?

i don't see anywhere that they are required and if put in place seems like they would render the oil grooves in the cam plate useless.

IMO, the oil grooves in the cam plate are already useless and nothing but a further leak in the oil system. Think about it: oil is coming out the front cam bearing and front engine bearing and dripping & spraying onto the cam gears and chain, which is then throwing oil all over the place under the front cover, further oiling the fuel pump arm and eccentric.

Also, Pontiac V-8s, which are similar in design in this area do not use them, but the Pontiac gets its oil for the timing chain & gears from those two front bearings. Pontiac had no problem with lack of oil to the timing chain.

The only real purpose of the front cam plate is to keep the cam end play within spec.

On edit: one more thought: motorcycle drive chains, which are under a lot more strain than cam gears & chains, get by with very little lubrication since they are exposed to the elements.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:22
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
CLi55er.
Did the expansion plugs u removed have a very tiny hole drilled in them?????

NOTE that the expansion plug as pictured is a FACTORY SBC application (aftermarket / hotrod would be pipe plugs). NOT PAckard at all.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm tempted to agree with Craig about the cam plate oiling significance. Well at the very least an 80% agreement.

The Packard cam plate oiling design always struck me as a rather 'ham and egss' design too.

However, in the case of Pnt or Chev we would have to look at the overhead drain back holes in the cylinder heads to see if they are positioned over or closely over the cam gear.

At one time i thot of rerouting the PAckard V8 FILTER DRAIN BACK over the cam gear. These ideas are worth more analysis and careful consideration.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
no, no hole drilled in them.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
However, in the case of Pnt [Pontiac] or Chev we would have to look at the overhead drain back holes in the cylinder heads to see if they are positioned over or closely over the cam gear.

Pontiac cylinder heads drain entirely back into the lifter valley.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:04
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Craig.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
No offense intended here, but do you realize how confusing and contradictory this is to a mechanical innocent?

Starting with the cheap seats, what do STP and/or marvel Mystery Oil do that could really help with this problem? Should I add sea-foam (whatever it is)?

It seems to me that most additives are primarily Snake oil. Or is it just that I was raised by New England puritans? If the contents were that amazing, you would think the oil companies would include it......

Advancing to the Olds conversion, reading from the flat rate book suggests that this should take 3-4 hours.

I have emailed Jack Vines, but have yet to hear from him.

The Packard V-8 club page that shows this in detail is missing all it's pictures and does not seem concerned.

What about the wipers? Do they work with just the regular vacuum, but not as well? (and to the person who commented on alternators, I already have mine and it lacks a vacuum pump....)

Posted on: 2011/8/29 23:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, especially patgreen, I recently converted my 56 Patrician using the High Flow Olds pump and it took all day and then some and you need a hoist. I had to remove the front splash pan and sway bar mounts, the front LH exhaust pipe, the lower engine bell housing, the steering gear at the LH chassis rail, not RH chassis rail as my 56 Pat is RHD converted. I had a problem at the left hand exhaust front (during which I snapped the front stud of the manifold to exhaust fitting at the hot box even after preheating the manifold area with a MAAP gas torch. It is very awkward to access and I normally use a rattle gun on a low setting which does not break the studs, but used a breaker bar which apparently does. I then decided to drop the Twin Ultra PB trans and replace the converter outer O ring which has an annoying weep. I should point out that my engine has just clocked over the 50k miles and although I change the oil and filter regularly, the sump had a lot of sludge in the bottom. I suspect that the sludge accumulation is mostly due to the drain hole being above the lowest point of the sump. I still have to replace the stud and there is not a lot of room to drill/ezy out and or retap. Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 1:00
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
it took all day and then some

What you say your skill level is as a mechanic? Sounds nasty, any way you look at it.

Is other people's experience comparable?

Oi!

Supposedly mine was removed within the last two years to install the improved pump, so hopefully it might be easier.....

Posted on: 2011/8/30 1:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi Pat, I would say that my skill level is above average considering that I have rebuilt aircraft engines including a Packard Merlin V1650-3 engine in the 1970's but it took 18 months. I have rebuilt and installed many Packard engines and trans fron 5th Series to the 56th series. My trade skill is Electrical Fitter/Mechanic, not Motor Mechanic so I am versed in Armature and Motor rewiring etc. I try to be as methodical and careful as possible and not screw up any parts, new or used. I would not describe the procedure as nasty but you really need to proceed carefully to avoid introducing additional rectification work into the equation. If your engine/exhaust etc was removed and replaced within the past few years then it should not be a problem. I would still opt for the rattle gun ( low setting) on the exhaust/manifold nuts to avoid my problem. You should also be prepared to replace a lot of the sump gaskets and others including the Olds pump to Packard receiving base gasket, which is not included in the kit. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/8/30 4:16
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved