Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1941 Packard One-Twenty
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Pics look great! Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2011/9/28 19:41
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CACHman
See User information
Today was the big day--the Packard has been delivered to Indianapolis for media-blasting. The body, which will be removed from the frame by an overhead crane, will be soda-blasted while the frame and wheels will be sandblasted. We are looking at about a 3-4 week turnaround time, so meanwhile I plan on stockpiling some pieces that I will need such as replacement floorpans.

Below are the last pictures of the car in Chicory green.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.03 KB)
4006_4e8d13a3435c2.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (90.28 KB)
4006_4e8d13b0858ba.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/10/5 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Very neat project!

Posted on: 2011/10/5 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Great progress, Sam.

Did you consider metal cleaning versus blasting?
This is where I took my parts. But there are places like this everywhere.
http://americanmetalcleaning.com/

I had my trunk floor re-fabricated before I discovered I could buy a floor pan for it. More details from The Duchess Project:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=10

You might try these guys.
http://www.c2cfabrication.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=floor+pan

Joe

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The pans from the Classic to Current guys are ok. They are not 100% match the original floors, but same "general" shape. The original floors where a stamping where all the beads and bends were pressed into shape on tooling. The C2C pans are made by hand with a bead roller and a metal brake. So the transitions and curves are not right, and the floor beads do not match the shape of the original beads.

Not that being said, they will get you %80 of the way there, and is basically what someone making a pan from scratch would have to do. Just be aware that they are not "drop-in" replacement pans. They are going to take metal shaping, trimming, and body hammering to get to fit. If you expecting a replacement pan, like you would if you ordered a replacement pan for a Tri-Five Chevy or an early Mustang, then you be disappointed. Most of those are stampings based on original tooling and as such are virtually identical to the factory pans.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
My trunk is like a tank now, and in fairness the supports were gone and the body was moving up and down above the frame, so it needed much more than than a pan.

But I won't relate how many thousands I was dinged because I and the restorer were not aware that there was a vendor who made something close.

Simply a lesson learned for next time. Like the exhaust system.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Sam:

That is a nice project you've started there. As the others have said, try to keep it is stock as possible in order to honor the heritage of the car and get the most value. That includes keeping it 6V.

I have a 1941 160 (see avatar) and earlier this year I purchased a 1941 120 business coupe.

Having restored my 160 about 7 years ago and currently doing some work on the 120 I can pass along some recommended vendors if you don't mind.

Steering wheel: That "K" wheel that you have is a coveted option. J.B. Donaldson of Phoenix www.SteeringWheelsUSA.com did a very good job of remolding my wheel in color to match the dash plastic.

Dash Plastic: Jerry Vinarcik of www.yesterdaysradio.com re-makes all the dash plastic in all the Packard colors.

Carb Rebuilding: www.daytonaparts.com will re-do your carb and send it back looking like jewelry and it will run as good as it looks.

You mentioned in your last post that "...last pictures of the car in Chicory green."

Sounds like you are going to change the color. Curious as to what color or colors you had in mind? Do you have paint sample colors for the 1941 Packard?

Thanks, --Roger--

Posted on: 2011/10/8 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree wholeheartedly with Roger Detroit, keep it as stock as possible. My 41 120 sedan was Chicory green over Grove green which I always thought to be a lovely combination.

For carburetors, I consider Daytona Parts to be the very best in the business.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, for a few years the family was in possession of a '41 One Twenty touring sedan in Chicory Green over Grove Green. Coincidence? There is an interesting story about this car which I will share with the folks here in the near future. It was a very attractive Packard.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/8 16:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Very technically, the color is not Chicory (I misspelled it earlier), but it is Chickory Green Metallic and Grove Green Metallic. Yes, they have a metallic base.

Metallic was also referred to as Poly or Opalescent or Luminescence, but whatever it was called it had a fine, metallic base and a majority of the paint colors in 1941 were metallic.

A lot of guys overlook this when re-painting their cars and end up with a nicely restored car, but with the wrong paint. I see way too many 1940 and 1941 Packards that have omitted this important ingredient to the paint and miss out on a finish that could have much more depth if they had followed what Packard had originally specified.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 22:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved