Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 206

JW49, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 120 Packard
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Hello guys i need help again!
Delco Shocks type 1751 used on 16th and 17th Series can anyone tell me where to buy a repair kit, as mine are both leaking fluid from the arms, has anyone ever striped one of these down? or has info,on what i must do!
all the best, Bill.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 14:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 120 Packard Delco Shocks (rebuild)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
I have now taken apart my Delco Shocks, and in the process of rebuilding them myself - i am just waiting for repair kits to arrive wish me luck!!

would like to wish everyone on Packard Information.com

"A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year"

Posted on: 2011/12/15 16:44
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 120 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I sent the ones on my 39 120 to Apple Hydralics and they did a nice job of rebuilding them. I sent the front shocks seperate from the rears, using the Post Office. I insured them for $300 each. Sure enough they were lost in the mail, and when I applied for the insured amount, some bureacrat in the post office said they wouldn't pay me unless I had an original receipt. Finally got Apple to send me a quote and was able to recover some of the funds. Moral of the story: package them well and send UPS or FedEx. White Post Hydralics also does a nice job of rebuilding them. Other than adding shock/jack oil overhauling the shocks is not something the average mechanic can do, so send them to a rebuilder.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 12:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Because Bill is in South Africa shipping costs on heavy metal items to/from the US are extreme hence the DIY rebuild. Luckily I was able to find an old time shock guy here in Oz when I needed to have mine rebuilt.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 13:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
I was formally trained as an automobile mechanic; but back in the early 70's I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for six months between dealership jobs in a foundry where the youngest piece of equipment they had was over a quarter of a century old.

When I couldn't find parts from dealers/manufacturers I used local machine shops, hydraulic repair shops, etc, bearing manufacturer's, electric motor rebuild shows, etc., and we'd either find the part through non-typical suppliers or we'd fabricate the part.

Keep in mind that lots of stuff used by manufacturers was made by other manufacturers for the vehicle. Seals for instance. The same axle seal can be used in cars, tractors, industrial motor apps, etc., it's just a matter of finding the replacement through non-standard supply routes.

If you can find the right guy - a top notch mechanic with fabrication skills - it doesn't matter if he works on cars or trains, he'll be able to find a way to rebuild them from scratch using local resources such as hydraulic repair shops, etc..

Posted on: 2011/12/16 17:16
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
I had mine rebuilt at 5 Points in California. Good people to tlak with and fast turnaround. They might be able to help you out.

Fred D

Posted on: 2011/12/16 21:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Thank you guys for your input, i am glad i did not send my shocks off, as i know they would have been taken down to the nearest scrap dealer once i had left the post office etc
this is the only way - i must work on them myself had to have a tool made to take the arms off but other than this all went well very little wear that i could see. But might have the piston wall on both shocks re-sleeved,and the dirty oil that came out is another story! with all that is going on with Christmas etc i can't see myself doing much this year - it will all come together next year, seeing as i have everything now to rebuild my engine by the way does anyone know what the fly wheel bolts must be tightened too?
all the best for this year Bill.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 15:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved