Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Packard -- Need Help RE Overdrive Cable Installation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Carlson
See User information
I'm re-installing the overdrive cable that I just repaired. Unfortunately, I purchased my 1950 Standard Eight with the cable not installed. Also, the cable's clamp / bracket is missing. I examined the possible re-installation of the cable by crawling under the car.

My question is -- How do I secure the "overdrive" end of the cable to the transmission / overdrive unit so the u-shaped fork will move the overdrive lever? What does the clamp or bracket look like? Would appreciate a diagram or photo.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 19:42
John
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 Packard -- Need Help RE Overdrive Cable Installation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Until a real picture of a 23rd series comes along, here is the R9 cable setup from the 22nd. The R11 used the same cable and a similar arrangement but since it was on the opposite side of OD may have been a mirror image.

The R9 to R11 upgrade kit instructions said to flip the rear engine support end for end to move the cable to the left side and install it in a new clamp. Look on the drivers side of rear engine support for a couple of holes where a bracket might go. Not sure whether it was vertical like the R9 or just flat piece for bottom of U bolt. There were other clamps and I added the instructions on where they were attached to the cable illustration. No illustrations on those extra clamps so someone will have to provide a picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.80 KB)
209_4e72bf0df2c68.jpg 642X487 px

Posted on: 2011/9/15 22:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 Packard -- Need Help RE Overdrive Cable Installation
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John Carlson
See User information
Howard

Thank you for your comments and photo. They were right on the money.

I've attached photos of the bracket that I fabricated and of the overdrive cable installed (using the bracket) at the transmission / overdrive end.

The bracket was made out of 1" wide x 1/8" aluminum flat stock (available at the hardware store). The bracket is around 3" long. I cut its length by eyeing up the length needed to position the cable's end in proper position in relation to the overdrive's lever.

A 1/2" hole was drilled in the aluminum bracket which permitted the bracket to be fastened to the transmission by the transmission mount's lower 1/2" bolt.

The 1/2" clamp is a "muffler" style clamp (available at the hardware store) which secured the cable end.

Note - The photo of the bracket with "muffler" clamp is slightly incorrect. The photo shows the clamp inserted into the aluminum bracket from the opposite side compared to the actual installation (ie, in the actual installation the curved part of the clamp and the head of the transmission mount's bolt head are on the same side of the aluminum bracket).

No additional, second bracket was necessary elsewhere (ie, no second bracket was needed to secure the cable more forward at the transmission or at the bellhousing).

Regards,

John

Attach file:

jpg  (25.83 KB)
3319_4e78087b8e807.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (45.99 KB)
3319_4e7808a2527dd.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/9/19 22:38
John
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved