Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Getting a jump
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Just a quick question I can't find an answer to: did I damage my 6-volt system by getting a jump from a 12-volt battery?

Tonight the three-year-old battery on my 1950 Standard Eight failed. The car was in a flat place when the battery died, so doing a rolling start by popping the clutch was out of the question.

A good Samaritan stopped by with a modern Ford truck and jumper cables. I made sure none of my electrical accessories (such as the radio or heater fan) were turned on. Then I connected his 12-volt battery to my 6-volt unit and asked him NOT to turn on his engine. I hit the Packard's starter button and she fired up instantly. We disconnected the jumper cables quickly. I thanked him and drove away. The Packard seemed none the worse for wear and I have already ordered a replacement battery.

I'm curious as to what the proper procedure is, when getting a jump from a 12-volt system. Any comments or ideas? Do I need to check my voltage regulator or any other electrical component? Thanks in advance for any comments.

All the best,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/9/16 0:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Getting a jump
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
HI CB,
I have had this happen various times with cars Iv'e had with 6 volt systems but only once on my 34 super 8. I dont think you blew your battery for the short time you connected to 12 volt. It acted rather like a fast charge but would not be recommended long term.
If this should happen again connect the jump leads direct to the starter motor terminal and the other to ground. This by passes the battery and will get you going. The starter motor windings for 6 volt are man enough to take 12 volt. I once changed my ford v8 Pilot over to 12 volt and left the starter motor in place as 6 volt for years with no problems.
Hope this helps

Regards

Terry

Posted on: 2011/9/16 2:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the worst that you might see damaged in that short a time is a dome or courtesy light bulb if you opened the door while 12v was connected. Was that one of the repro "boutique" batteries that failed after 3 years?

Posted on: 2011/9/16 8:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I think you did exactly correct connecting the jumper cables to the battery-the dead battery acts as a resistor and helps protect the starter etc. I agree-get the 12 volts off the system as fast as possible. Charging systems run at a higher voltage than the battery voltage. I have measured 8v with the engine running on my 47 Packard.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 9:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I think you did exactly correct connecting the jumper cables to the battery-the dead battery acts as a resistor and helps protect the starter etc. I agree-get the 12 volts off the system as fast as possible. Charging systems run at a higher voltage than the battery voltage. I have measured 8v with the engine running on my 47 Packard.

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I agre wit hPackard49. Jump to the battery. It acts as a resistor or a kind of 'overflow tank" in a way for extra voltage.

Btw if that battery is 3 years or older u most likely need a new battery.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 9:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
I agree. Very little chance any damage was done. I've done it before when I've been in a pickle and never had an issue. Sounds like you did it the best way you could.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 11:46
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print 

Re: Getting a jump--reply to HH56's question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Hi, Howard,

The battery was not a fancy repro model. It was an Interstate that 01-1972 that I bought at a NAPA store. In my experience using the Packard as a daily driver I get about three years out of a battery.

Thanks for your interest,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/9/16 12:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The starter motor windings for 6 volt are man enough to take 12 volt.

Maybe on a Packard.

When I had my 41 Chevy we got in the habit of doing that, but quit after the third starter rewind.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 13:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved