Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Follow-up to my follow-up
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Starting about a year ago, I noticed the process of starting the engine was becoming slightly difficult. When I hit the starter button on my 1950 Standard Eight the Delco starter would engage the flywheel for less than a second. Then it would disengage and I'd just hear the starter whirring. I'd let up on the starter button, wait for the whirring to stop, and then repeat. After 2-3 tries the engine would fire up and I'd drive away.

I began to wonder how much time I had before the 'repeat process' would fail. So about four months ago I decided to take pre-emptive action.

I assumed the problem was the starter relay (AKA solenoid, which it really isn't), so I ordered a replacement from Rock Auto:

http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?SS544A.html

When I installed the replacement I made sure to clean every contact as thoroughly as possible. I got them all shiny and bright. But despite the new component, and the cleaning, the problem persisted. Fortunately it never got any worse--but it never got any better.

Never, that is, until I installed the new battery. Since then the 'disengage and whirr" problem has disappeared.

So it's now my belief that the problem was really related to a battery that was in the process of failing.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? Could the 'disengage and whirr" problem be a sign it's time to start thinking about battery replacement?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

All the best,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:08
 Top  Print 

Re: Follow-up to my follow-up
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Certainly possible I guess --- although I wonder if you might also be getting some false starts which is kicking the Bendix out. Do you have the anti kickout Bendix as was installed in later cars and retrofittable to earlier if needed.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO9.pdf

Posted on: 2011/9/20 13:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Anti-kickout Bendix
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
That's a good question, Howard. Truth to tell I have no idea whether I have the newer or older Bendix in my starter--to the best of my knowledge it's never been removed since I've owned the car.

If the 'false start' problem returns I'll invest in an anti-kickout Bendix. I see Max Merritt has them available:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5AABOJ~P125.00~~~~S3BG0XVUH063226215830b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000022D

Thanks for your learned response and all the best,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/9/20 15:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Getting a jump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Put the positive lead from the charger to the positive battery terminal, and negative to negative.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 12:14
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved