Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

37Blanche, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Clipper headlight chrome
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
When I installed 6014 headlamps on my 54 Clipper, the first chrome ring holds in the lamp. The decorative chrome piece on both sides have a screw for attaching the bottom. I am missing whatever goes on the top the holds the rim on there. A clip that looks as though it is for another piece to slide into to hold the rim in place. What does is the piece I am missing from the out chrome back? I will try to attach a picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.43 KB)
3889_4e753297aecab.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (64.69 KB)
3889_4e7532c6c3de3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/17 18:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Clipper headlight chrome
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall it is an upside down J shaped piece of thin sheet metal which is about the width and height of that pad on the rim. Extends out enough to slide behind the piece on fender. The small round "bumps" on the rim extended thru holes in the sheet metal and were peened over to act like rivets. If missing, about the only options are make something similar that will reach and mate with the fender clip or find new rims.

Packard used that pot & sheet metal arrangement on lots of pieces. Sometimes they got torn off by improper removal & in some cases, removed on purpose to have things chromed. If history is a guide, you will probably not able to reuse the pot metal bumps as rivets. Many have drilled a small hole being very careful not to drill completely thru the pot metal piece and then used a small or cut off sheet metal screw to re-attach any removed pieces.

Posted on: 2011/9/17 21:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I wasn't sure, but thought there had to be another piece. Also I sure didn't know what the rivets were and what to do with them. Now I will drill them out and make a piece to fit and use the small cut off screws to attach.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 14:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have about 5 headlight bezels, and 3 of them have the little retainer tab broke off. Very common problem. I would carefully drill some shallow holes were the "rivet like" areas are, tap then, and then make another metal tab with some scrap sheet metal and reattach with some screws.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 18:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I like the idea of tapping. I hope the pot metal is strong enough, tapping or screws could crack it if I am not careful.

Posted on: 2011/9/19 18:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved