Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

'53 Cruising Speed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
A search on the subject didn't return anything convincing so considering the similarities between the '51 through '54 Clippers, I'm wondering what a comfortable crusing speed will be for my '53 Ultramatic equipped car and what kind of fuel consumption I can expect at the maintained speed. The guy that had the car before me used premium fuel with no problem so I'm thinking I'll stick with it for now.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 10:56
 Top  Print   

Re: '53 Cruising Speed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Once you get it properly sorted out and assuming the drivetrain is in good condition you should be able to cruise all day long at 65-70 mph. Don't expect much for gas mileage at those speeds - perhaps in the 12 mpg range. Dropt back to 55 or so and perhaps 16 mpg, give or take.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 18:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Gagtor. Have checked the rear axle ratio????

Posted on: 2011/10/5 19:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Gagtor. Have checked the rear axle ratio????

I haven't confirmed it yet but the owners manual states that the '53 Clippers with Ultramatic came from the factory with a 3.23 ratio which to my knowledge isn't to bad for an automatic transmission equipped car with no real "high gear". Of course it would be better if it were a 2.73 or 2.88 but it would be a real dog from a dead start. A 2.97 might not be too bad.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Actually, all the Ultramatics have a real high gear with the direct drive clutch feature. When engaged it is no different than a standard transmission car in high gear. A 3.23:1 ratio seems a bit high, maybe you have a 3.54:1? The '53 Clippers are nice cars. Congratulations.

(o[]o)

Edit: Brochure says on the Ultamatic equipped Clippers a 3.54:1 ratio is fitted and the Deluxe Clippers have 3.23:1 ratio. Deluxe Clippers came with the 327 cu. in. 160 h.p. engine and the Clippers with the 288 cu. in. 150 h.p. engine. So Packard used the higher 3.23:1 ratio on the Deluxe Clippers with the more powerful engine. Makes sense.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 22:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is curious that only the 2611 and 5401/11 Clipper passenger chassis used that ratio. The lesser Clipper model and Packard models all had the 3:54 with Ultras.

Quote:
So Packard used the higher 3.23:1 ratio on the Deluxe Clippers with the more powerful engine. Makes sense.
It does on the Clipper engines but then they have the higher HP engines on the Packards using the higher ratio. Seems like they would have taken advantage of the lower there as well or is the weight that much more of a consideration the extra 20HP couldn't overcome.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 22:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I don't know the ratios but my '54 Clipper Deluxe with Ultramatic cruises very nicely in the 60 - 70 mph range. The engine doesn't seem to be working too hard at all - The car feels very comfortable at those speeds, and can easily go faster to pass.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 6:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
It is curious that only the 2611 and 5401/11 Clipper passenger chassis used that ratio. The lesser Clipper model and Packard models all had the 3:54 with Ultras.

So Packard used the higher 3.23:1 ratio on the Deluxe Clippers with the more powerful engine. Makes sense It does on the Clipper engines but then they have the higher HP engines on the Packards using the higher ratio. Seems like they would have taken advantage of the lower there as well or is the weight that much more of a consideration the extra 20HP couldn't overcome.

Good question HH. Mine is a Deluxe with the 2611 chassis so I'm quite sure it has the 3.23 which certaily doesn't hurt. Folks weren't as concerned about gas mileage back then as they are now but I'm old enough to recall "Gas Wars" with stations posting as low as 18 cents a gallon and my dad pulling into the cheapest one in our '55 Merc. Now days, we're all concerned.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 9:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
[/quote]I don't know the ratios but my '54 Clipper Deluxe with Ultramatic cruises very nicely in the 60 - 70 mph range. The engine doesn't seem to be working too hard at all - The car feels very comfortable at those speeds, and can easily go faster to pass.[/quote]

I would sure like to get an idea of what kind of mileage you get at those speeds '54 just to get an ide of what I can expect and to set a benchmark for my own car.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I'm old enough to recall "Gas Wars" with stations posting as low as 18 cents a gallon and my dad pulling into the cheapest one in our '55 Merc.

Talk about memories. Dad stopping at "Oriental Gas" at a wide spot in the road between home and Albuquerque. Filled up with ethyl at a whopping 23.9 cents/gallon (it was 29.9 at home). Moms car & she told him she didn't like the looks of the place. He did, car smoked, belched, passed gas and sounded like marbles in a can the rest of the trip. It's a wonder we made it any further and other than the car, things seemed quiet and a little strained in the front seat between them.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 9:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved