Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

DavidM, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: '53 Cruising Speed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
On the tire and gearing question. If your speedo now must read 70 when you are doing 60 your tires are undersize. It would be easier and cheaper to install larger diameter tires than to change gearing

I went with the largest WWW radial tire from Coker I could buy. P235/75R15 BF Goodrich. I guess I could go back to bias ply tires.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
I took my numbers from the specs listed for the car. I'll look at the tires next time I'm out there, but the odometer seems very close for miles covered/ miles shown.

Anyway, look at the manufacturer's web site, they'll give you tire dia, rolling distance and revolutions per mile. You'll find that different brands and even different model tires from the same company are different even when the size designation is the same. Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
ok. So then at 70 mph Blackbeards engine rpm is 2625 rpm.
80 mph = 3000 rpm. What brand/size tyres do u have on your car???

Posted on: 2011/10/8 17:49
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
The tires on my car are Firestone FR380 P225/75R15.

According to the Firestone website, they turn 736 times per mile. The owner's manual says that I have 3.23 gears so my engine is turning at 2377rpm at 60 mph. Elsewhere in the servive manuals, I beleive I saw it claim the the engine turns 2250 times per mile. That's a about a 5% difference.

I guess I need to find tires that turn 697 times per mile. The P235 would be better at 721tpm.

http://www.firestonetire.com/productdetails/QuickSearch/FR380
Then click 'specs' and then 'show all attributes'

Posted on: 2011/10/9 12:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There is something funny with the speed vs speedometer. Have you tried timing yourself between mile markers on the interstate or using a GPS? It sounds like your speedo is way off somehow. This can be corrected in minutes with a speedo gear change.

Posted on: 2011/10/9 15:39
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
I put the 225-75-15 made by Cooper for Diamondback (called the fury) on my Clipper - the GPS (which is basically dead-on accurate for speed) tells me that my speedometer reads about 9-10% high. So 72 mph on the speedo is actually about 65 mph.

Posted on: 2011/10/10 22:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Is it the gearing and tire sizes that are off? Or does the speedo need to be cleaned and lubed? Has the spring lost some of it's tension?

Posted on: 2011/10/11 7:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Question, I would like to buy a GPS. The statement that yours is dead on makes me want to buy the one you have. What make/brand is it and where can I buy one? Thanks

Posted on: 2011/10/11 13:19
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Depending on the type of cell phone you have, you may already have a GPS. Just need to download and install the appropriate app on it.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 13:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Kev, I'm pretty much still in the dark ages when it comes to my cell phone. It does nothing except act as a phone. Doesn't even have a camera for pictures. Pretty old Sprint phone.

Kev, I'm an old electronics and computer guy. I am still having trouble calling a computer application an "APP". House power is still 60 cycles not 60 htz. to me. Still can't bring myself to say Hertz. Not even sure if that is the correct spelling.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 13:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
As an old electronics guy I'm surprised you are not familiar with Hertzian waves. Refers to the 19th century physicist not the car rental agency.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 15:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved