Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
270 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 267

BigKev, Marvin, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1932 Packard question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Highlander 160... sent you a PM.

And please don't worry about adding to the conversation... the more the merrier and possibly stir up some memories or additional information!

Posted on: 2011/10/12 13:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
You are correct to question the L-29 question of only being 8 remaining. I too have seen tons of them in all states of condition but trying to relate the Packard 905 using the Cord L-29 "Sedan" similar style and size, there are only 8 of those body style models left.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Interesting thread! I have nothing useful to add regarding the frames, but the 2011 CCCA Handbook list 62 L-29 Cords. The preponderance listed are convertible styles, one might conclude that was what comprised the majority of production. The eight survivors mentioned may refer to the custom-bodied cars, of which 43 were built.

The illustrations of the '32 Twin Six chassis look to be just that, artist rendering. Those fellows created rendering based on whatever the engineers brought to them, frequently development prototype versions, given the long lead times needed to have documentation in place when the production cars were ready. Pre-war literature abounds with inaccuracies just for the reason.....all the more interesting as well!

Steve

Posted on: 2011/10/16 8:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
Hmmm... I will have to check on the custom models quote.

But I am still waiting on the validation as to what chassis was under the 1931 Packard FWD prototype... if it was the same as used on the production V-12 or different and...

If the 1932 design chassis was actually developed for the FWD car hence being only used one year?

Someone is supposed to be validating the FWD chassis layout part now and will post the results when I get them if somebody else doesn't first.

The X frame may be mundane for some but looking back over time, at one point there was a reason for them and then nearly every automobile produced in America between 1933-1959 had some variation of it... a few earlier and later exceptions such as GM cars stopping in 1960, some in 1964 and the Riviera in 1970. But there were others that continued even further such as the Checker until 1982, and backbone X variations such as DeLorean, and even Corvette. In foreign designs they go even earlier all the way to 1921 and later into the 2000s. It isn't only dedicated to automobiles but also trucks (including military vehicles) and there were a lot of outlandish variations patented but not produced.

The chassis is the foundation of pre unibody cars that held all of it together and deserves some recognition hence our gathering and preparing information for publication.

It can be both interesting and addictive when you get into this unique category of research.

Any help appreciated (and recognized)!

Thanks!
Eric

Posted on: 2011/10/16 9:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

James Butcher
See User information
I was able to see enough of the below book online to be even more confused. It does not show the "Front Wheel Drive" chassis but shows a "Prototype" V-12 with rear wheel drive and a frame that was used on the following 1933 models (without the odd swiss cheese side plate off the center axis) but not used on the 1932s small engine cars as it had a different X similar in look but did not stretch as far out.

The 1932 Super 8 and V-12 had that unique parallel bar X BUT the description in the text for the FWD seems to indicate a larger X design similar to that seen in the RWD prototype picture on page 402.

Then there is a vague entry about the 1932 chassis seen for the 1932 auto show that tends to be the smaller parallel bar X on the production 1932.

I am still waiting on some photos of the FWD and RWD cars to make a distinction between the two and reasoning why the smaller X was designed and only used one year?

Eric

Quote:

In "Packard: A History Of The Car And The Company" by Kimes, there's 2 lovely photos of 9th and 10th prototype chassis. Pgs 402 and 403 show the 9th, including the 3rd pedal for a vacuum operated clutch. On pg 412 is a very nice shot of the 10th which is more what we enthusiasts of the time are used to seeing. However, I don't see the rear axle.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.00 KB)
2957_4ea049398e2ee.jpg 369X864 px

Posted on: 2011/10/20 10:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved