Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive tranny
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Does an R9 overdrive tranny have the same size input shaft and bolt pattern as a 38 standard 8 tranny?

Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive tranny
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Wow that was quick

Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't waste time!! As far as I know, all Packard transmissions from '35 and up have the same spline input shaft, which BTW, is the same as a 10 spline Chevrolet. There was a transmission that I believe was for the Senior cars that have 5 bolt holes, but I think they'll interchange, you just don't use the bottom 5th hole. Try and find a '35-'39 floor shift trans, and you can swap the tops with a little modification with the later year transmission's, up to '54.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Phil and all, As we know, there was no optional overdrive in Packard for 1938. A few ( myself included) have fitted 35 -38 floor change tops to R6 and R9 overdrives. I am not sure if your reference to a "standard 8" means the 320 Cubic inch standard eight motor. If this IS the case then the only floor change that you can fit to a 38 Super is an R6 or an R9 with the correct big input spline and one year only 1939 bell housing, much different to a Junior R6 or R9. The R11 is a side shift trans and you will need to acquire a "slick shift" from the Fifties to run a funny looking floor change. The R6 has only a solenoid, with no governor, works in reverse to a R9 and R11 and needs a bit less chassis modification to fit. The R6 has a crap crush washer in the rear of the trans so there are definitely trade offs in fitment. But the 28.7% reduction in revs gets the smile on your face every time. We got 20 MPG ( imperial gallon ) on our last long trip averaging 60 mph. Good luck Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/3/14 1:45
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Can you tell me what frame mods have to be done?
I would like to install an overdrive in my 38.
Do you have to machine anything?
Which one would be best,R 6-R9 ?
Thanks.
Richard

Posted on: 2008/3/14 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Richard, It is much easier to fit the R6 or R9 trans to the Six than the Eight. The next time I put the cars on my hoist I shall take some pics from underneath. As for which one is best, I prefer the R6 as you do not need electrics fitted to engage the overdrive. You do need electrics on the R6 to dis-engage the overdrive above about 17 mph. The R9 uses the solenoid and governor to engage and dis-engage the overdrive. I suggest that you find a mate with a spare chassis to have a look at the work requred. There is a fair bit of work to fit to a 37 120 for example. I shall try to get more info to you. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/3/14 18:00
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Thanks Peter !!
Photos would be fantastic.

I'm familar with the OD that Studebaker used,I have one in a Stude Pick up.It use's an electric govenor and is cable operated also.But it doesn't look like it would be a great swap for my Packard.

I looked into the Gear Vendors unit and it didn't look like something I wanted to "make fit".

Useing the R6 with my shifter cover sounds like what I'm looking for.
Does anyone have info on a smaller ring gear for the diff ?
Thanks again,
Richard

Posted on: 2008/3/15 10:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved