Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 196

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

High oil pressure 1938 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

What would cause a constant oil pressure reading of 55 psi on a 1938 282 motor? The oil is 15W-30 Shell Rotella. In other words, the oil pressure readings for various situations:

Initial startup, engine cold: 55 psi
Idle, engine warm: 55 psi
30 mph, engine warm: 55 psi
60 mph, engine warm: 55 psi

It is also way to high an oil pressure, which might explain the oil leak at the top of the oil filter.

The shop manual says the pump pressure relief spring is "not manual adjustable" (37-38 Shop Manual, pg 49). If it is not manual adjustable, how do you compensate for really high oil pressure?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/10/11 13:37
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: High oil pressure 1938 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Are you relying in the stock dash gauge? If so I would try a separate gauge just to verify. My 38 282 runs at a steady 30 psi.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 14:52
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also check as perhaps someone "shimmed" the relief spring in the past.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 14:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom,

The service manuals say the pump relief valve spring is not adjustable, but I shimed the one in the Forty-seven Clipper for more oil pressure. I have a sneaking suspicion that I was not the first one to do so.

I would expect something like 35 lbs pressure with a warmed up engine at road speed (50 mph), more with a cold engine at start up, and less with a warmed up engine at idle (15-20 lbs).

The relief valve spring is easy enough to check as the pump body is on the outside of the engine on the RH side (but you know this). Just remove the large hex shaped cap and the spring and valve will be accessible, if they don't fall out on their own. A little oil will run out but no enough to be concerned about.

The leaking oil filter top is probably not due to the oil pressure, but rather a bad gasket seal. Good luck and let us know what you find.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/11 17:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Thanks all for the help. The oil pressure was checked with a separate gauge, giving identical results.

I will check for shims. Given other modifications to the engine, this seems likely. I will report back soon.

Thanks!

Tom

Posted on: 2011/10/12 12:31
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, have you had a chance to look further into the constant oil pressure reading?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/21 10:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
I would expect something like 35 lbs pressure with a warmed up engine at road speed (50 mph), more with a cold engine at start up, and less with a warmed up engine at idle (15-20 lbs).

The leaking oil filter top is probably not due to the oil pressure, but rather a bad gasket seal. Good luck and let us know what you find.
(o[]o)

Wow. Those numbers seem way too low to me. I think you really want around 42-45psi. What does the manual say it should be?

As for the leak around the top of the oil filter, double check your gasket, and check the cover. I had a leak problem once with mine, and didn't realize that an old gasket was stuck to the top of the cover. Two gaskets was much too much.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 10:44
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Typical values for a nice, tight engine seem to be about 40 psi or perhaps a tad more, warm at road speed. And perhaps as low as 25 at hot idle, but those I'm familiar with are more like 30 at hot idle.

Those observations certainly don't agree particularly well with the shop manual which says 35 psi at 30 mph.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Interesting. Mine shows about 42-45 consistently, less (of course when I first start it up. But it pretty much remains around 42 warm or cold, idle or at speed. Somewhere I had read that 50 would be even more ideal.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 11:49
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, are you referencing a 9-main engine? With more leakage points at the extra mains, 9-main engines usually have a higher specified pressure than the 5-main engines.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 12:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved