Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 184

37Blanche, Don B, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater, '33 Packard?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

RussBees
See User information
Questions on installing a first time heater on a '33 1002. We see a threaded plug on top of the head between spark-plugs #5 & 6. Is that the "supply" for the heater location? And if so what is the hardware at that spot and where available. If the plug has never been removed we wonder at the difficulty in removing it. Then....where is the location and how is it done to return the fluid to the radiator? Thanks for everyone's help. Russ

Posted on: 2011/10/13 9:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater, '33 Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This Vol 9 #20 SC article was for a later car but it does have a suggestion on your question about plug removal.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.95 KB)
209_4e96f942a2fab.jpg 434X843 px

Posted on: 2011/10/13 9:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The hot water return was via a fitting in the radiator-to engine-block lower gooseneck just below the water jacket on the front driver's side of the block. I have one I could photo for you if needed.

A very fine hot air heater was also available, manufactured by Kelch.

PS - notice the diagram of a hot water heater installed on a 1933 Packard, this from my article on the Kelch heaters.

Attach file:

jpg  (167.66 KB)
177_4e97046081e17.jpg 935X1243 px

Posted on: 2011/10/13 10:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

RussBees
See User information
Yes, Mr. Ambassador, please send a picture of the fitting for the hot water return from the heater. Much appreciated and thanks. Russ

Posted on: 2011/10/13 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Leave it to our buddy Owen...good stuff.

The plug, plan on some paint touch up, but you'll be able to get it out with this simple process:

Warm the engine up to full operating temp.

Once it cools down just enough to work on it in some level of comfort,put some heat to the plug with a small MAPP gas torch, similar to a propane torch. DOn't get it red hot as you'll anneal it and bugger the slot, but get it good and hot.

Apply a candle to the threaded area and in the slotted portion of the plug. You'll see the wax run around a bit but just trust that it's finding it's way to the threads. Let it "soak some and repeat the process.

After 1-2 wax applications, get a screwdriver that fits that plug to EXACTING tolerance. Twist it out. A shorter driver will offer more control and leverage, one with a hex near the grip, even better. Just be square and deliberate. If it binds up just warm and wax it again.

The idea of warming the engine 1st relieves you of having to apply the heat for too long to get deeper into the plug. The wax will definately creep through the threads, and the head being warm already won't stop the creeping process as the torch work cools. Try it, you'll love it. If your plug is a 4-sided version, get the right 8pt socket to fit vs a Cresent or pipe wrench. Better leverage. Good luck and let us know how it worked.

BTW, if you have access to straight parrafin wax bars that's fine, but the Mrs always has an abundance of scented candles. I prefer the cinnamon variety, but I digress...

Posted on: 2011/10/13 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, hope the pictures are helpful. Can't be mounted incorrectly but just to orient you, the radiator hose end points down and forward towards the lower radiator outlet, and the pipe for the heater hose will rise vertically. I doubt the piece of pipe itself is original.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.29 KB)
177_4e971e7843fd8.jpg 1280X669 px

jpg  (114.61 KB)
177_4e971e81d1313.jpg 1280X797 px

Posted on: 2011/10/13 12:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved