Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

Rscott77x, BigKev, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Is this a steal?!?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Was happily browsing the Hemmings blog this AM and ran across THIS:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/twelve/1313907.html%26refer%3dnews

If I had $25,000......

Posted on: 2011/10/17 8:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Is this a steal?!?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i like the pic of the guys feet LMAO!

also...wonder why it has no banjo...it IS a 12 after all. i guess someone could have ordered it that way or replaced it at sometime in it's life, but i'm not 37 12 expert.

i also wish i had 25k...i'd buy it. i like it!

Hank

Posted on: 2011/10/17 9:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I agree. It seems to be a very reasonable price. Tack on another $25 G's for a proper engine overhaul, though, and you're quickly on your way to being upside down. You may be able to get it done for $10,000, and you may be able to do it yourself. In that case, have at it.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 9:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West's estimate of $25K for a proper engine rebuild could end up being very much on the low side, something one needs to anticipate. Many new Twelve owners, first starting out with an engine rebuild with the best of intentions, begin to realize what the final cost will be and take shortcuts that either need to be redone or even worse, more work to make up for the damage done. For example a friend purchased a Twelve where a prior rebuilder had decided to eliminate the 1500 or so needle bearings in the valve lifter train with simple bronze bushings, with consequent disasterous results. It took nearly $20K from one of the few really top-notch Twelve rebuilders just to correct the valve train.

When purchasing a Twelve, best to get the credentials of whomever did the engine job and as many details as you can, ask lots of questions, and when in doubt, assume a rebuild with be more than expected.

Posted on: 2011/10/17 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
If the thing ran good, had good oil pressure, quiet, etc, I'd roll it. The 37 12 is arguably the best of the best. The fact that it's a limo, well, you wouldn't find a convertible anything in that price. Worth a set of gaskets and accessory rebuilds to get it road worthy and run it as is. I wish I had a spare $25K. As far as a banjo wheel, I've seen many original 37 12s. Can't recall a banjo wheel on any one of em. It should be "cast" woodgrain. By that I mean the bakolite type material was swirled in an both brown and a burnt orange to get the effect. They look awesome when they're repaired to OEM. Did I say I wish I had...

Posted on: 2011/10/18 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

Highlander160 wrote:
If the thing ran good, had good oil pressure, quiet, etc, I'd roll it. The 37 12 is arguably the best of the best. The fact that it's a limo, well, you wouldn't find a convertible anything in that price. Worth a set of gaskets and accessory rebuilds to get it road worthy and run it as is. I wish I had a spare $25K. As far as a banjo wheel, I've seen many original 37 12s. Can't recall a banjo wheel on any one of em. It should be "cast" woodgrain. By that I mean the bakolite type material was swirled in an both brown and a burnt orange to get the effect. They look awesome when they're repaired to OEM. Did I say I wish I had...

My sentiments exactly! Although I wouldn't drive it long distances...

Posted on: 2011/10/18 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Supposedly the 24,000 miles is correct, but I'd want to see some better proof. With the engine repainted, it makes me suspect. On the other hand, it supposedly "purrs like a kitten." Sounds like you could have a little fun with it before an engine job was needed. Good solid rust-free car.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 11:30
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear MIDan:

I would only rely on odometer readings in the presence of service documents. When those cars were new they could rack up impressive mileages. For example rural AgVets typically would drive up 100,000 miles in a single year on their cars.

Additionally the car is too ratty, and even if it was a true low mileage car, it has not been stored properly, and thus, has a lot of hidden problems.

If you bought the car and started driving it a lot it would probably blow up. I dealt with an original V-12 that was low mileage because the block was cracked in a zillion places and it couldn't go around the block without boiling.
So figure at least ten grand to make it safe to drive more than ten miles a trip. In the old days wiser men would use a car like that to go to a local meet once or twice a year. Today's crowd wants to drive something like that 65mph on the interstate and so they blow up.

The Packard twelve cost roughly twice the price of the typical American home when new and so they are expensive to maintain.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to pursue.

Oh and yes, a banjo steering wheel was an option.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I haven't had anything blow up on me in awhile. I need some excitement

Sounds like relatively cheap dollars especially if you were going to keep the car original.

V12 rebuild would have me worried.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Wow guys. This IS a Packard site, right? True enough, anything can be abused or improperly cared for, but it is a 37 12. A compression test, cylinder leak down, a good long 20+ mile test drive, hey, what's to fear. If you know a good car when you "feel it" I'd be willing to go for it. The season's winding down so it's the perfect time to point it up and rework a few things over the long cold nights. Get the hood off, change all of the manifold gaskets, make sure there's no vacuum leaks, check the clutch and brake vac cylinders. Go through all of the wheel cylinders and brake lines, make sure the front suspension is nice and tight, same with the rear. I spent 2 summers under a 37 12. They're built like a shick brithouse!! The interior, hey a couple yds of that color wool for the door bottoms, dry clean the headlinder, maybe even some new rugs. By spring you'd have a ready to use 37 12 7pass sedan for not much more than 30K. And mostly original by the looks of it. The rest, soap and water, some air fresheners, that's normal for any new purchase. I'm not flush enough for it but that car sorta turns me on because of the price and the fact it's touted as "running and driving" condition. Again, if you know your Packards you can tell a good one from a bad one without spending double and 1/2 the purchase price for engine "peace of mind". Does that make sense? Ya got the dough? Go get it! Ya need a hand? I'm easy to find too.

Remember, we love our Packards for many reasons, longevity not being the least of em.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 10:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved