Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1955 Carribean hardtop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
I have seen one documented dealer/factory conversion of a 5587 to a "Caribbean" that was sold new in Grosse Point. The production number was slight over 7000 and the documentation the owner held suggested that there were 15 similarly converted 400's in the June/July time frame of 1955. This car had the 400 hood, the 400 interior, the single 4 barrel Rochester, but the side trim and emblems of the Caribbean. If this information is correct, the car on eBay is production number 2903 making it perhaps a post 1955 modification?
To Owen's point, without documentation we need some of our more informed friends from MI, IL, or NJ to chime in.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 13:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Take a CLOSE look at the interior photos. (#27, #28, #29) Is that a =manual= brake pedal that I see? If so, it's very rare for a 1955-56 Senior.

And, what's that object hidden in the left-front fender...?

Posted on: 2011/10/18 16:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Back in the early 1990s, there was a 1955 Caribbean "hardtop" on display in the Studebaker Museum - as part of a Packard celebration, featuring the freshly-restored Predictor as its centerpiece.

This "hardtop" had the correct Caribbean hood and side trim, but no Caribbean script plates (or even any holes for them) on the front fenders. Can't say about the engine as hood was down. Seats were upholstered in leather, color-matched to the white/rose/gray exterior tri-tone paint scheme, but I couldn't inspect the interior in full detail as car was roped off.

The vehicle was on loan to the museum. I seem to recall the owner name shown on the info card was "Lyons", but my memory may be fuzzy on that detail.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 16:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Dale Lyons owned that hardtop. I saw it at the Packard Club National Meet in Detroit in 1982. It had a 5587 number, but the paint and trim codes were blank.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 16:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ECAnthony wrote:
Take a CLOSE look at the interior photos. (#27, #28, #29) Is that a =manual= brake pedal that I see? If so, it's very rare for a 1955-56 Senior.

And, what's that object hidden in the left-front fender...?

I do believe that car is equipped with a Hydrovac or possibly the Midland or European (Mercedes??) similar looking unit mentioned recently on another post here on site -- I can't quite see it well enough to identify but at any rate, thus the need for manual brake pedal and cylinder setup.

A question would be whether it was done at the time car was new or someones attempt to replace the Treadlevac down the line when Stude and others used Hydrovacs and they were still available or done during the restoration. A nice neat job nevertheless hiding the power unit there.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.04 KB)
209_4e9df8b29834b.jpg 539X600 px

Posted on: 2011/10/18 17:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
All the comments are very interesting, but my question is:

Does anyone think this car is worth the $50K "buy it now" price?

I don't.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/18 18:03
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
It is a nice car that someone other than Packard Motor Car Company modified. It is not worth any more than 25-30,000. The hype and additional trim don't add value even if they do look nice.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 19:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming the seller cannot produce validating documentation, I believe Packard1's range of value is pretty much on target.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 19:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I still remain suspicious of any vehicle that has any indication of the VIN plate being removed and or altered (pop rivets). My first questions begin with who, what, why, where and how?

I do however like the car generally, as I think it presents well for a car that is 56 years old.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 20:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I just got done looking over prior club rosters from both the PAC and PI. I saw nothing in the PAC published rosters, all the way back to 1999, that indicated there were any '5587 Caribbeans'. I did however find one indication in the 2005 PI roster, that a '1955 5587 Caribbean' was owned by a man in Texas in 2005. That same person also listed a 1953 Caribbean as being owned. By the 2007 PI roster update, that same Texas man no longer listed the '1955 5587 Caribbean' but he continued to list the 1953 Caribbean. Would be interesting to see what happened to his 5587 hardtop? I'm sure a man that owns a 1953 Caribbean, really knows much about all Caribbeans. His insight would be interesting.

Reference this present car. It showed up in google search at Mecum auction at previously. Now it is with Daniel Schmidt & Company on the auction circuit via ebay.

Lastly, looking over the published rosters of PI & PAC, it is apparent that PAC uses "forced choices or selections" to consolidate the information gathering. PI's method however allows for more individual owner interpretation and information submission. And then there is the registry here at Packardinfo which puts them all to rest! Keep up the good work Mal.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 21:05
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved