Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 75

Gary Kulp, Ross, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Solving the Oil Pump Problem - Packard V8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bob
See User information
I have just finished rebuilding the 374 engine on my 56' 400. I want to thank all of those on this site that replied to my questions that enabled me to do this and to Kevin, for the Oldsmobile oil pump adapter kit. Please see the attached pictures and note the oil PSI on the oil gauge.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.51 KB)
60_47db1d37743c1.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (39.84 KB)
60_47db1d4fcee04.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/14 19:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Solving the Oil Pump Problem - Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your engine looks lovely except perhaps for the non-stock gasoline filter. Best of luck with it, and I hope you get many happy miles from it. I'd suggest you adjust your oil pressure a bit lower -- just as too low a pressure can cause problems, so to a lesser degree can excessive pressure. The "scouring" of the soft bearing metal is one possible consequence, kind of like what happens when you blast a stream from your garden house into the dirt.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Packard0820,

Those numbers L@@K great and I'm happy for you! May your Packard run till the cows come home!!!!! And a little history behind how the fix was invented.

First however, I'm certain that you purchased the adapter kit from my buddy Craig H. in Pahrump Nevada. Craig, is the fellow that convinced me that the oil problem on 55-56 Packards was fixable. And with the assistance of other interested internet-Packard people some years back, discussions raged for many months over how to attempt a fix. Craig H., however was the guy that really got things going, as spent his own time and MONEY & actually developed the plate that would make the melling HV pump fit onto our beloved 55-56 Packards. Note that Craig H. is a highly skilled engineer type BUT he also is a highly skilled (hands-on) engine builder. Years ago before he purchased his first Packard he was also building hot Pontiacs out in California for racing people. Before that he was actually a 'rocket-scientist' working for our government!

In May of 2006, Craig and I rebuilt the engine in my '55 400 to '56 standards (374CI). (My '55 had serious oiling problems in the forward main bearings.) At the same time, we outfitted my rebuilt engine with the very first prototype of the adapter with the melling pump. In addition, as the attached pictures show, we also prepared my engine to accept a full flow oil filter conversion as opposed to the original. I guess my part of the story is that I was there with others during the inception and inspiration.

I have no doubt my 400 will have the same kind of oil pressure that your picture indicates.Again, I'm happy you were sucessful!

If you get a chance, take a peek at www.1956packardpanther.com - very Cool stuff there.

best regards all,
Kevin in Tucson

Attach file:

jpg  (28.87 KB)
20_47db4a4ab4c9e.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (42.55 KB)
20_47db4a7cd0429.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (34.55 KB)
20_47db4aaed0df6.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/14 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From the gauge it looks like 55-60 psi oil pressure. What rpm is that taken at?? is that a cold or hot reading??? What weight oil???? Mechanical or electric gauge????

Posted on: 2008/3/15 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The oil pressure on the gauge is NOT TOO HIGH!!!.

If it were 100 psi then you might worry. If that were my engine, I would be ecstatic. For instance the Pontiac Ram Air V and 455 Super Duty engines used to have such high oil pressure that they would blow apart cheap oil filters (expensive ones were OK). Of course those were full flow systems, not the bypass type you are running.

The analogy with a garden hose on dirt is bulls**t.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 10:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bob
See User information
My apologies to Craig, whom I did purchase the oil adapter kit from. The PSI in the picture is at a cold start. It does come down a little once warm. Oil is Castrol 30 Heavy-Duty as the first oil used after the rebuild. Oil pressure shown is with a mechanical gauge.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Craig, is the fellow that convinced me that the oil problem on 55-56 Packards was fixable. And with the assistance of other interested internet-Packard people some years back, discussions raged for many months over how to attempt a fix. Craig H., however was the guy that really got things going, as spent his own time and MONEY & actually developed the plate that would make the melling HV pump fit onto our beloved 55-56 Packards.

I find all of this totally and completely hilarious, Kevin. I really do.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Kevin AZ: This post is directed straight at you.

I remember the oil pump problem very clearly and the persons involved in the final solution. There were more than just you and Graig and QUOTE OTHER INTERESTED INTERNET PACKARD PEOPLE.

Two other major persons who help in coming up with a solution to the Packard V8 oil pump problem. You failed to mention Keith Lumis or Eric Boyle. Just to refresh your memory Keith Lumis posts in this forum under Packard V8. Eric Boyle posts in this forum under Turbopackman.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/15 19:28
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packard53 and his recount of the history of the Olds oil pump conversion IS ACCURATE! It was Eric Boyle that singlehandedly DISCOVERED the feasibility of the Olds oil pump for the Packard V8. A wooden MODEL of the adapter plate was made by me and fitted for MOCK-UP and clearence checks.

After all of that, Craig manufactured the kits for sale. And a SUPERB kit it is.

Whithout ERICS discovery we would all still be sitting around various I'net forums anaylizing the problem like we did for about 6 years nearly EVERY NITE prior to ERICS discovery.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
John,

You are exactly right. Keith Lummus and Eric Boyle were major contributors to finding the initial solution. I have and continue to freely acknowledge their contribution.

BUT keep in mind that the ultimate solution including final engineering details and being willing to pop the requisite $$$ to make it happen fell on my shoulders.

Only Kevin and myself were willing to "go the final mile", as it were. Kevin contributed his 1955 engine and I contributed my time to work out the final engineering details.

What "we" (the Packard V-8 Club and general community) have is a REAL solution to a nagging problem.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/3/15 20:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved