Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Solving the Oil Pump Problem - Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Eric:

The fact that you find Kevin's posting "completely hilarious" is akin to Al Gore claiming that "he invented the internet."

Craig

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Am I to assume that I didn't have anything to do with the development of the V8 oiling solution? If it wasn't for me, YOU'D still be trying to lower the stock Packard V8 pump lower into the pan to try to suck oil into the top of it instead of air!

You guy's crack me up, you really do!

Posted on: 2008/3/15 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Eric:

<b>WTF?

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Am I to assume that I didn't have anything to do with the development of the V8 oiling solution? If it wasn't for me, YOU'D still be trying to lower the stock Packard V8 pump lower into the pan to try to suck oil into the top of it instead of air!

You guy's crack me up, you really do!

</b>

Get a life or pop some $$$.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 0:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hmm, you're telling me to get a life after you take an idea that you, Keith and I came up with, start making the parts, and have your crony come on here and build you up? Tell me, just how pathetic is that? We all three worked long and hard on this, and would just like to have ourselves represented in the way I'd treat you. And on this, you know damn well what I mean. And on top of it all, claiming to be the "Founder" of the Packard V8 Club just proves my point, another idea stolen.

Telling me to get a life or to pop up some $$$ tells me just exactly how you really are, petty and childish. I guess I'll be more careful on who I choose as my friends from now on.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 0:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The first problem I see here is in not telling the full story - though I must admit that time and space are not without limit. Some people may remember things a bit differently than how KevinAZ has explained it.

For example, I remember discussing the V8 oiling issues online back when I first signed into ClassicCar.com's old "Packard Live Chat" late in the summer of 1999, even before Craig came along, but the topic has been discussed a lot longer than that.

The first post-factory attempt at a solution that I heard of was offered by PI, back in 1975, but it didn't seem to solve the problem for everybody. Years later, I learned that someone in PAC had another solution that retained the vacuum pump, but he wouldn't tell you much except to send him your pump. However, I learned through the AACA Forums, that other shops catering to Packards were using an approach like his.

A lot of other things have been tried by more than one person since then, and the use of Melling's HV pump for the Olds V8 may not be the last word in the oiling issue.

Yet, readers might be interested in knowing that Craig dismissed the lifter noise and oil pump as a non-issue until I publicly posted pix, at the AACA Packard Forum, of a catastrophic engine failure - a connecting rod that had literally been folded over on itself and then broken in two.

I don't know about all the whys and wherefores that led to Craig's involvment with this latest solution involving a Melling pump, but I winced when I saw kudos to Craig with only passing thanks to unspecified internet people - without whom Craig would have had nothing to work with.

From where I sit, it looks like things started to go sideways with Craig's post that:

Quote:
The analogy with a garden hose on dirt is bulls**t.

Now, I don't have a qualified opinion to argue that issue either way, but such an unsupported rebuttal didn't sit well with me. I've never met Owen Dyneto personally (though I hope he makes it to Warren this year), but he comes highly recommended by Randy Berger. Owen has also contributed a lot of good, original content to the Articles section here, as well as the Forums. As such, I wouldn't dismiss his claims so lightly, but would have prefered discussing the further details publicly.

Then, after Packard53 (aka - John Shireman), reveals the identities of the previously unspecified internet people, Craig admits:

Quote:
You are exactly right.

...but minutes later he posts:

Quote:
John you are just a trouble maker.

Well, if I were PackardV8 and Turbopackman, I know I'd feel offended.

Frankly, after dealing with whiners who complained of infringing on their "quiet enjoyment" of the AACA Forums, I find some of the posts here to be incredible.

How about we not try to "deify" anyone, but if you're gonna give credit by name, then include all who were involved? Also, let's discuss differences of opinion openly and support positions by facts.

Meanwhile, I look forward to hearing more about any V8 owner's experience with oiling issues and whatever solution(s) they have tried. I especially would like to hear about results of this latest adaptation involving the Melling pump - good or bad.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian, a good and measured response. I am a member of the PackardV8 club and remember Keith and Eric's documented involvement in that project. I did purchase the kit and the required Melling oil pump. I have not installed it yet on any vehicle because I prefer to keep the vacuum wipers, but did want to support the effort, time and money that was required for that project.
All that being said I do not like to see the door slammed on any contributor's opinion, particularly Owen Dyneto's, because of what he can and has contributed. He owns a 34 and a 56 Packard and does the work himself. He is a good resource for us.
I also appreciate Kev's hands-off attitude to let the chips fall where they may rather than the "Can't we all just get along" attitude.
Lastly, I don't want to see ANY contributor leave this forum or squelch their opinion and that requires that we all give each other a little latitude in our posts.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Craig: I fail to understand why when I stated that Keith and Eric had very big rolls in the Pakcard oil pump solution, that you are publically branding as a trouble maker.

I also wanted it noted that when Craig called me a trouble maker in public. That I have replied in a very polite manner
to Craig concerning this subject.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/16 18:36
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
R&D, manufacture and sales of the Olds/Melling pump mod seems a team effort that came together almost by happenstance. Had even one of the players not made their seemingly predestined contribution, we may not have it as an option for our V8s.

I am proud to be one of the 30 who have installed this mod. It's been in the (original) 352 Packard engine in our blue & white 56J (Stude Golden Hawk) now for a couple thousand miles and performs very well. Some of you may recall I did not use the HP version of the Melling, due to it pushing oil past the modern rear main seal that I prefer to run. I used the OEM version of the Melling, and overall it runs at 3-5 psi more oil pressure than the original.

I say a hearty thanks to the entire team! I also hope y'all stop bickering though, since it is not very flattering of any of you.

Joe H

Posted on: 2008/3/16 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Well, this thread was an interesting read. I read something somewhere about the oil pump problem, and the gentleman advised to just add another quart of oil. I did, and it cured it. Now, some might say "that's too much oil and dangerous." If so, please explain as I am not a mechanic, but can learn the stuff pretty easily with a good teacher.

What did you all do before the mod? Just listen to tappet noise every where you went? I'm not trying to shoot any ideas or mods down, but apprently this problem was around for years. What did people do to deal with the problem all that time?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
If you've read and searched, you'd find:
1. Packard had three re-designs and field fixes which solved the problem as long as the engine was relatively low mileage and tight.
2. Three different vendors re-manufactured the Packard oil pumps.
3. The Oldsmobile conversion
4. Run an extra quart of oil
5. Live with it.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/12/15 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As Jack points out there were various attempts at solving the problem over the many decades which included Packard factory 'band-aids' and 2wo independent vendors supplying "factory spec" rebuilds or "redesigns" of the original pumps. NOTE the use of quote marks.

I can not rehash all of the attempts and analysis that happened between 1998 and 2005-6 about the V8 pump. It spans 3hree different websites and aggressive analysis that took place nearly every day during that time. U can search for these rather exhaustive threads and read them for yourself but it will probably take u a month to do it reading full time.

THe overfilling of crankcase with oil is a fairly well known and ancient 'cure' for the LOW SPEED lifter noise problem. It cures the symptom (in some cases, not mine or a few others) of the noise but does NOT solve the problem of the oil pump wear.

If u're happy with the results of the overfilling then fine. No problems should result provided that u do not overfill it by no more than 1 quart at the MAX.

Have u tried to drive the car at a SUSTAINED 60-70 mph on a hot day for 20 miles or further????? EVEN with the crankcase overfilled????

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved