Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Don Shields, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Solving the Oil Pump Problem - Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
used somekind of an oil impregnation process on the V8 cams

I'm not as knowledgeable about this as others here, but I suspect what you thought of as an oil impregnation process was in fact the phosphate conversion coating (Parkerizing to gun buffs) which creates a hard but microscopically porous iron phosphate surface coating which have a propensity to absorb and hold lubricants (often called an oleophilic surface, meaning "oleo" as in oil, and "philic" as in loving), thus it's use on firearms, especially those used in wet climates (like Alaska). This type of coating isn't too far removed from what you get with an acid prep of bare steel for painting if it's done with dilute phosphoric acid.

There are other types of conversion coatings used on iron and steel, a chromate coating is another.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Actualy eric, there is a difference! the real true "hash" bearings had a different dia oil hole than the packard bearings.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Looks the same to me!

Posted on: 2009/3/29 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, the OEM suplier, Federal-Mogul and all the replacement bearing suppliers, Michigan, Clevite and so on, listed only one main and one rod bearing P/N for all Packard, Nash, Hudson and Studebaker 320", 352" and 374" '55-56 V8s.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/29 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I know that there is only one number listed for replacements. eric, is the bearing you were looking at a factory o.e.? not one that had been installed later? This is how i came by the info:

In the early 60's when uncle was building the "green dragon" a high school friend of his had a 34 plymouth coupe stock car that was powered by a 320 out of a hudson. when the 320 got weak the stocker was brought to uncle's shop for a rebuild. when he pulled it apart he found the bearings in it to be different from the ones still laying on the bench out of the "dragon" the oil grove was slightly different and so was the size of the oil hole. both sets were supposedly factory installed sets. both with dates on them that matched what would be correct for a factory set. the engine going back in the dragon had lifter noise when it was pulled. uncle found a n.o.s. set that had a smaller id oil hole that matched what came out of the 320, put the dragon back together and the noise was gone. as i have said before, those bearings and the factory oil pump are still in that car and it makes 0 noise. I know i speak of what uncle has told me a lot. But he has never given me the wrong info on anything he has done. i trust his info enough to stake my life on it!

so i wonder what the deal is with those bearings?

Posted on: 2009/3/29 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't know, but I've done exactly the same thing and every aspect of them was identical.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
makes me wonder if there was a batch that was made incorrectly and uncle just so happed to get several sets? i know that there were at least 5 sets he used.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved