Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

37Blanche, Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packards with UP draught carbs.
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did Packards with UP draught carbs have fuel pumps or were they gravity feed????

Posted on: 2011/10/28 10:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Packards with UP draught carbs.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
EDITED: The mechanical single action fuel pump was first introduced with the 8th series with changeover kits offered for cars back to the 6th series. Prior to that they were all gravity feed. Those pumps are very uncommon and pricey isn't the word. Got a picture somewhere.

If you browse the 6th-9th series parts book available on this site, you'll find it listed as well as changeover kits.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Owen.

So then. How about a little owner poll here????
Do owners of Packards (OR any car) with gravity feed fuel delivery ever experience the need to prime the carb or suffer from vapour lock to the extent that the addition of an electric fuel pump mite be desireable???

Posted on: 2011/10/28 11:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, as far as priming goes, it's a very simple matter with a vacuum tank as there is a plug fitting on the top for that specific purpose.

Other than that, I think you'll find, based on those I've spoken with, that owners of these cars have the same mixed experiences as owner's of later cars; some have installed electric pumps as a backup precaution and others continue to have no problems with the vacuum system, assuming the tank and lines are in proper condition. You'll find a lot of personal experiences on this over on AACA and other sites like VMCCA and HCCA as it seems more of the vintage Packard owners tend to favor those sites.

Probably the owners that have the very least problems are the owners of the VERY vintage cars that used an air pump to pressurize the fuel tank to provide delivery of fuel.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 11:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I knew I had a photo of the first generation mechanical fuel pump to feed the updraft carbs. Here it is on a 7th Series (740).

Attach file:

jpg  (65.01 KB)
177_4eaae275d5a19.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/10/28 12:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved