Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '53 Clipper on Ebay...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
What I don't like is the 53 "defense chrome".

What is defense chrome??

Posted on: 2011/11/17 11:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
During the Korean war some plating metals were in very limited supply. To stretch what was available, mfgs went to different materials, eliminated what plating steps they could or thinned what was applied on non essential items such as decorative exterior chrome and some non handled interior pieces.

The eliminated steps and the thin layers resulted in very poor quality chrome. The pieces lost their shine, corroded or just generally did not hold up well much past the time the car left the showroom. In addition to the poor quality plating, in an effort to protect what was there, the piece was often painted with a clear lacquer or enamel which was worn off or deteriorated rapidly and added to the problem.

Packard published an article with details & care suggestions in SC Vol25 #14 -- here is an excerpt showing some pieces affected.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.89 KB)
209_4ec53b985c673.jpg 769X267 px

Posted on: 2011/11/17 11:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The front grill that is on my '54 came from a '53 parts car, and it was for sure "Defense" chrome. Sprayer with lacquer to protect the thin chrome. Most of that clear lacquer turns yellow after all these years and was then polished off. My left (drivers side) parking light housing has a copper hue to it where the chrome/nickel coating has worn away is a so thin. But for some reason I keep finding only good passenger side ones. All the drivers side one the chrome is worse than mine, or the housing is cracked. Go figure.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 12:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Thanks for the info. Now I do remember reading something about the inferior 1953 chrome. Glad I don't have any of it.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 14:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
FWIW "defense chrome" was also a problem for 1952 Packards.
Ken

Posted on: 2011/11/17 18:03
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Makes me even happier I have a 51. Here is a picture of my grill that stills boasts it's original chrome.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.26 KB)
4088_4ec6a00880bcb.jpg 1280X857 px

jpg  (32.83 KB)
4088_4ec6a08be8cad.jpg 708X356 px

Posted on: 2011/11/18 13:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Very nice chrome! Wish mine were that good. Nice looking car too!
Ken

Posted on: 2011/11/18 15:31
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Very nice chrome! Wish mine were that good. Nice looking car too!

Thanks Ken. The only sad thing is I live spitting distance from the ocean and I don't have a garage. The car has to sit out. I keep the chrome waxed and now that the car is down with the front end off I've drenched everything with WD-40. So far so good.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I know the feeling. I don't have enough garages. The Packard gets the garage. General transportation gets stuck out in the weather. Maybe you should check into one of these steel or aluminum pipe frame and canvas or vinyl fabric "garages" or "carports" they sell at some of the bigger auto part stores if the neighbors wouldn't complain and zoning permits. They aren't as good as garages but they are better than nothing.
Ken

Posted on: 2011/11/18 19:01
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved