Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valve adjustment proceedure help ; 52/200 w/ thunderbolt
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hello call for advice ;I am going to have the noisy valves adjusted on my 52 200 thundebolt adjusted by a genuine mechanic ,and wanted to help the mechanic as much as possible by getting the scoop from the knowlege bank .

It looks like from the manual that I can have them adjusted with the exhaust and intake manifolds on thats great !, is this true ,can you get to all of them?Seems like a reach!

I have heard a legend it was possible to get to them by taking off the inner fender on the right side ,
this will necessitate removing the heater asssembley I guess

can one get to them with the motor in the car?

I should hhave a valve cover gasket already on hand to bring with me anything else I should have on hand?

Posted on: 2011/11/23 19:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve adjustment proceedure help ; 52/200 w/ thunderbolt
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, valve adjustments are done with the motor in the car. Valve adjustments were the staple of many a corner gas station, a half-day job for even the slowest mechanic.

The manifolds should not be removed as it's preferred to check final clearances with the engine running.

Sure, you go in thru the right fenderwell; jack up, block with a jackstand, and remove the tire/wheel and inner fender panel.

You should have new valve cover gaskets available.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
The inner right fender has an access opening designed for adjusting the valves - it helps to have long arms, but is very doable.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 19:53
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Thanks!!
very helpfull .as usuall .looking forward to a peppier thunderbolt !
Does the heater ducting need to come off when the innner fender is off ?
Does the intake manifold square block where the carb bolts on block reaching the rear valves?,or is the wheel and inner fender removal povide suffucuant exposure to get all of them

Thanks for the tip about the wheel .

the little tappets are they replaced too??

Ill have them hit all of the steering and suspention zirks while they are there ,is there a service manual that says where they are ? most of them are visable, but my old Desoto has some tricky ones and theres at least 600 of them

the cars getting closer ,thank you for the invaluable assist s!!

Posted on: 2011/11/23 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, not to discourage you but some of your questions make we wonder seriously if old cars is the hobby for you? I suspect being a mechanic isn't in your future.

I don't recall if your inner fender has a removeable panel or if the fixed panel provides access, but either way that's how its done.

No, the tappets aren't replaced, they are adjusted (lengthened or shortened via a threaded extension) to provide the specified clearance to the valve stem.

The tappets are accessed via a removeable panel(s) below the manifolds, not above where the carburetor is.

I'd really suggest getting some books, shop manuals, old Motors Manuals, and just spending a few days reading and looking at the pictures.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Steve -

When it comes to the ownership of any old car, there is no susbstitue for exercising due diligence WRT to the available literature - that is, familiarizing yourself with owners manual, shop manual, parts books, etc. They're all within reach of your fingertips of this site and FREE.

Though it's a continuing work in progress, check the Answers to Frequently Asked Questions feature, and you'll gain valuable insights into this site's Packard Service Information.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
just found the service bullitin feature of the site ,wow great ! thank you Happy Holidays All

Posted on: 2011/11/24 13:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Steve -

Keep in mind that the articles and bulletins referenced in our Service Index were supplements to the factory shop manuals (and parts books).

So, be sure to check out the 1951-1954 Service Manual, which Big Kev broke down into a series of PDFs - one per each section - for easier downloading.

I categorized the bulletins for the online index to follow the same structure as the shop manual.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Steve:

Make sure you understand that proper clearances does not automatically translate into quiet. The feeler gauge should have slight drag. Next, if the tappets are worn a feeler won't work and your mechanic will need to set up a dial indicater. Finally turning tappets until the valves are quiet will probably compromise seating because the noise may be coming from worn guides. So just remember that a little on the loose side is way better then on the tight side.

My modern car is supposed to have a valve adjustment every 50,000 miles, but I don't bother because the little bit of valve lash I can hear means that the valves are closing.

Good luck with your car.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 17:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved