Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is best reproduction wire wheel for 1950's Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
What is best reproduction chrome wire wheel for 1950's Packards? in regards to durability, closest to original appearance, chrome quality etc...? I have seen many brands advertised but no real info on quality, thanks

Posted on: 2011/12/1 11:44
 Top  Print 

Re: What is best reproduction wire wheel for 1950's Packards?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question. One other question I'd have on any wheel not sold by our regular outlets is would the Packard hubcap fit and stay on. Wasn't the look an issue with even some of our vendor repro wheels at one time -- or maybe still is -- the hubcap diameter being a bit on the large side for the covered hub area.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 12:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's a good question. I don't know much about it but I do recall that the very earliest of the Kanter Bros. repro wheels required a non-stock hubcap which you ordered with the wheels. I believe their later wheels eliminated this problem and were true reproductions.

Honestly, it would be nice just to identify the true manufacturers of the several 55/56 wires, as separate from the sources that sell them.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 13:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've been advised by Fred Kanter that my comment about some of their earlier wheels requiring non-stock caps is incorrect. Must have been some other vendor's wheels I was recalling. Fred's comment:

The wheels we have always sold used exact reproduction hubcaps or originals which are of course the same. due to production variations some wheel/hubcap combiantions required a thin rubber o ring under the lip of the cap, included and invisible

Posted on: 2011/12/2 9:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Vintage Wire Wheel of Fresno, Ca did manufacture wire wheels which were silicone-sealed to allow tubeless tires, but I don't believe they are still in business. At one time they rebuilt wire wheels also as my 400 wheels were rebuilt by them in '95. They were unique in using stainless nipples on both rebuilds and manufactured wheels.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 10:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, if you know, what's the story on the spoke count? At least one of the replica wheels didn't have the correct spoke count but I don't recall the details.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 12:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Packard wheels were made by MOTOR WHEEL and had 52 spokes. Kelsey-Hayes had fewer spokes. Vintage Wire Wheel had 52 spokes, but are not identical to MOTOR WHEEL. You can spot the differences if you know what to look for.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 20:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved