Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

Joe, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Gener-Nator or Powergen alternator reports?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ASSUMING this a SIX volt system: Contact pertronix and ask them at what voltage level does the pertronix system STOP working????? Be sure to ask for some tech type and not some salesman or parts jockey for the answer. U want a REAL answer. Then go from there.

Edit: Better to ask the question this way:
What is the MINIMUM volts required for the SIX volt pertronix to work??

THen ask the same question for the 12 volt Pertronix.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 15:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"The ignition will cut out completely if the power drops below a certain level."

I'm not sure what "the power" is supposed to mean. Do u mean the voltage???? Engine power or what?????

Can we also assume that this problem did NOT exist when the oem ignition points were used????

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some happy and unhappy campers having 6v Pertronix units on this forum--(unhappy ones toward bottom of page) although their problems seem to be outright failures so a bit different from yours.http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/pertrnix.htm

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Update: I replaced the generator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Although I've never had a vehicle with the Pertronix electronic igniton, that news that yours "really sucks up the juice" seems unusual.

I mean, I've owned more than one 1975 GM vehicle (both then and now) equipped with factory-installed HEI, but no heavy-duty battery or high-output alternator, and never experienced such a problem.

I suspect a problem with your Pertronix unit or installation thereof, but am unable to provide diagnostic assistance.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes BH. But yours were TWELVE volt systems. Not six volt.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm familiar with several 6-volt Packards with Pertronix. The current draw is miniscule. Still if it were me, I'd stick with points and condensor - more reliable and given the average service life of points, about 10,000 miles, a trivial time requirement to replace when needed.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 16:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Yes BH. But yours were TWELVE volt systems. Not six volt.

OK, but that doesn't mean a six volt system with pertronix electronic ignition that "really sucks up the juice" is normal.

Pertronix offers units specifically designed for six volt, positive ground systems, no?

System voltage (6 or 12) and ground (+ or -) doesn't mean squat, as long as the unit matches the vehicle.

Of course, GM's HEI and Pertronix are different approaches, but my point is that any electronic ignition system that is properly designed, installed, and functioning should NOT pose a problem relative to current demand.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BH. I'll certainly agree with you any e-ignition should not "really suck up the juice" . I am however suspicious that the 6v versions of any e-ignition offering is subject to some minimal voltage requirements that are equal to or not far from any 12v e-ignition offerings. Therefore the 6v e-ignition systems might be incorrectly diagnosed as heavy load on the battery/charging system.

THis topic of minimal voltage for an e-ignition system came up about a year ago. IIRC the minimal voltage required was 'researched' to be in the 4.8 to 5.2 volt range regardless of 6v or 12v e-ignition nor manufacturer.

Bottom line: there is just not enuf margin of reserve between 4.8 minimum for 6v systems as there is between even 5.2 minimum for 12v. So what one mite consider as "really sucking up the juice" for a 6v application mite not be the case at all.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 21:08
 Top  Print   

Reply to PackardV8's questions.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
My Packard still has a 6-volt, positive ground system.

Regarding the power drop, I'm referring to the info I get from battery charge indicator in my instrument cluster. When I start from a dead stop the needle swings significantly over to the left (discharge) side for a second or so, then swings back to the right.

I'll be honest and say I have no idea whether that indicator measures volts, amps, or moonbeams. All I know is things are going well if the damn needle stays near the center and slightly off to the right most of the time.

If the needle swings too hard to the left, the car stalls. It's my understanding the power (voltage? amperage? moonbeam?) drop affects the performance of the PerTronix. This is connected, somehow, to the presence of the overdrive kickdown switch. I may be mistaken on that but it's what I understand.

Before I installed the PerTronix ignition the car would sometimes stall when I started off from a dead stop. I attributed that to not giving her enough gas. Since the new ignition has gone in, I've noticed the battery charge indicator swing. I don't recall seeing this before but that may be due to my inattentiveness.

Thanks for all the comments,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/12/26 21:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Reply to Packard 8's questions.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mark -

The parts book shows that your car should have an ammeter (as the battery charge indicator). It's not abnormal for that gauge to show some discharge during periods of peak demand, but that should average out over the course of normal driving - all other things being equal.

However, your description of the behavior of the gauge and vehicle does not sound normal.

That the Pertronix unit in your vehicle is somehow connected to the overdrive kickdown switch adds a new twist. I don't mean to imply that this, in itself, is a problem, but it makes me wonder if there's something amiss with the overdrive electricals.

I've no hands-on experience with servicing the overdrive system in your vehicle, but I do know that there is a ground-out function that comes into play, momentarily, for disengagement. The intent is to interrupt ignition spark just long enough to relieve engine torque and allow the overdrive engaging pawl to withdraw. Could there be a correlation, here?

I can't offer any further advice on overdrive electrical diagnosis, but perhaps someone who does will be able to help.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 22:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved