Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

My New Esquire Replica Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
After years of lamenting the theft of my 56 Packard Caribbean convertible [5699-1179], a recent article by George Hamlin in "The Cormorant" about Harry DuBois' rebadging 400 coupes as "Esquires" got me on a creative ledge for which there is now no return.

It struck me that I could--with some shuffling of trim--have a "poor man's Caribbean coupe".

With much more ease than I thought, I have been able to assemble the two left and right antenna speedlines, the lower trim on the right side, and the two divider strips that are positioned over the top of the tail light housings.

When I ordered the latter from Max Merritt, I was asked if I needed to have them rushed out. I told them that SINCE I DON'T EVEN HAVE THE CAR YET, a rush was not necessary!

So, I am anxiously awaiting some forlorn 400 that wants to be an "Esquire" replica. I have had a lot of fun thinking about the color combinations. Unlike the Esquires that Harry DuBois produced, I plan to do the full Caribbean three-toned treatment on mine--including a replication of the Hypalon top (SMS has sent me a very convincing sample). My ideal color combination will be off white Hypalon, Dover White, Jamaican Yellow [feature strip] and Corsican Black. The interior will follow suit with white leather, yellow leather, and black cloth or black leather with a white perforated headliner and black or gray dash.

To take the Esquire project even one step further, I have designed an "Esquire" script for the trunk that is in the same style as the "Caribbean" trunk script (in instances where DuBois applied the trunk script, it was a slightly reduced version of the side fender script which was a font like that of the Caribbean). The side scripts will follow the Caribbean font. I have found a source to reproduce both, and then I will have them gold plated.

Now, to find a Caribbean hood! Mind you, I can still have a correct and mildly customized replica without it, as some of the Esquires used the standard 400 hood. But that special component on the front clip will give me an all-Caribbean exterior.

I welcome your comments and encourage you to stay tuned. I will share the progress of the project, especially after I get the candidate for my transformation! --Esquireman

Posted on: 2011/12/4 8:20
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: My New Esquire Replica Project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,
to PackardInfo. Wish you well with an unusual project build and look forward to following along as you locate and transform your Packard.

Could you please include your "Esquire" in the Packard Owner's Registry when you locate it?

Posted on: 2011/12/4 13:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'll be most happy to do this. My Caribbean and Patrician are already on the roster. I look forward to adding the Esquire and also sharing with any other Esquire owners (a small subset of 56 Packard folks I dare say!).

Posted on: 2011/12/4 14:32
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,
Although not yet an "Esquire" for including your '55 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 14:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

I thanked you in the previous post for including this '55 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe as the basis of your Esquire project. But you just included this '56 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe, so are in order for the new entry. But I was obviously in error in the previous post especially as you state in the entry for the '55 "This car will ultimately become a Caribbean Coupe replica". It's now too late for me to edit the old post, but hopefully this post will clarify matters.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 0:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Greetings, the 1955 Four-Hundred Coupe was to be just what was stated: a 1955 Caribbean replica. However, now that I have located a suitable 56 400 Coupe, I'm going to use the parts collected to reconstruct an Esquire replica. I have even done new scripts for the car. Projected colors are: Tangier Red over Dover White. The interior already has white, black, and red vinyl...well done for the time being until such time that genuine leather will be employed. All of this, of course, will take time and money.

The 55 400 Coupe turned out to be such a nice car, I didn't have the heart to change it anyway!

Best Regards...Happy Packarding!

Posted on: 2012/12/8 4:53
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
By the way...as long as we are discussing the projected Esquire, I have located the all-important 56 Caribbean hood as well through the courtesy of a dear Packard friend of mine.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 4:57
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,
for the update on your Esquire project. Would like to hear and see more, pic's would be good, as this progresses.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 5:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I'll be sure to post pictures as we take the long, arduous journey!

Posted on: 2012/12/8 9:41
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Esquire man

Would you be willing to share the name of the outfit that is doing your script. I need someone to come up with a script that says 'Clipper Rod' for me to put on my car.

ALK

PS
Pm the info if you like.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 15:58
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved