Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 64

William Grosz, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Wiring help needed for fog lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
AAAAARRRRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!......So much for removing the fog lights and rewiring the lamps, and the car too. When I removed the compression bands to remove the glass from the lights I found these "bulbs", sort of a "semi" sealed beam light bulb. There are 6V bulbs soldered into the center of the reflectors, the end of the bulb has a screw into the base for the power wire. The # on the bulb appears to be "2X04...maybe 2004...6/8 volt", and the back of the reflector is stamped with a production date of 24 January 1947. The amber glass lens says "SEELITE". Okay, the amber lens is held in front of the reflector with a tight fit compression band, which then becomes a modified sealed beam bulb. This unit fits into the chrome bullet shaped housing bolted to the bumper, and held in place with another matching chrome compression band. What do I have here? Would it be possible to heat the reflector with a heat gun, get the old bulb out and use a new 6V bulb (soldering power and wire to the protruding base of the bulb????? All comments welcome.

Old cars are my passion

Attach file:

jpg  (62.41 KB)
721_4eea8bc09d9aa.jpg 800X480 px

jpg  (47.54 KB)
721_4eea8bd00eee8.jpg 800X480 px

jpg  (43.76 KB)
721_4eea8be27cba3.jpg 800X480 px

jpg  (55.50 KB)
721_4eea8bf66116c.jpg 800X480 px

jpg  (32.21 KB)
721_4eea8c010db1f.jpg 800X480 px

jpg  (64.79 KB)
721_4eea8c0e722af.jpg 800X480 px

jpg  (57.90 KB)
721_4eea8c1d66983.jpg 800X480 px

Posted on: 2011/12/15 19:09
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Replace the lens and reflector/bulb with sealed beam fogs??????

Look on eBay for sealed beam fogs.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 23:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Alright, here's my solution to the fog light problem. "PackardV8", thanks for the thought of replacing my fog lamp guts with an amber sealed beam light bulb. After searching the internet I ended up at "Unity" the maker and supplier of replacement parts for old headlights, spotlight parts, etc. They had a "possible replacement" (exact fit questionable)6V amber (new production) fog light #U-4012A. Cost: 48.00 each, plus shipping, and still needing to purchase the wire, relay and switch to finish installing in the car..
GULP!!!! Went back to Ebay and looked around and found the following fog light set up on Ebay, I just bought the whole kit for $152.00 that retails for 240.00 at Unity and 217.00 (price included shipping) at Kanter. Now I have a new set up with new components and good looks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170746718584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

All's well that ends well.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 16:21
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. Sounds good. What do replacement sealed beams cost for the set u bought if and when they need replacement???

Posted on: 2011/12/18 17:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
"What do replacement sealed beams cost for the set u bought if and when they need replacement???"

The new fog lamp housings are made for the $48.00 Amber bulbs alluded to previously (un-4012A) being sold by Unity. A further explanation: My current housings mounted on the front bumper were problematic in accepting a newly manufactured bulb due to the need of a mounting ring that went around the old light and reflector to hold the light unit steady in the housing. That same (old) ring would need to surround the new bulb and still fit in the old housing. Buying an entirely new system designed to go together with modern materials, and old looks, is the best of both worlds for me. In the long run, I've simplified my life. So, now I can stress out over rebuilding the vacuum wiper motor when the lights are done.

Posted on: 2011/12/18 18:20
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
WHile we're on the fog topic:

Did Packard Motor Car Co. ever offer, approve, promote, offer for sale, declare, announce or in any other way shape form or fashion promulgate a PMCC approved (whether by PMCC zone, factory, sales dept, eng'ring dept, PMCC dealer network dept, factory etc etc) fog lites in ANY year or years whether consecutive years or not consecutive years from the beginning thru 1956?

If so, then did any such fog lites have any inscriptions, embossments, decals or any other form of identification on the foglites (i.e any part of the fog lite including perches and mounts and switches etc) whether internaly or externally that a reasonable person mite interpret as a PMCC identification and therfore believe that such specific foglites would be PMCC approved????

Posted on: 2011/12/18 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
WHile we're on the fog topic:

Did Packard Motor Car Co. ever offer, approve, promote, offer for sale, declare, announce or in any other way shape form or fashion promulgate a PMCC approved (whether by PMCC zone, factory, sales dept, eng'ring dept, PMCC dealer network dept, factory etc etc) fog lites in ANY year or years whether consecutive years or not consecutive years from the beginning thru 1956?

If so, then did any such fog lites have any inscriptions, embossments, decals or any other form of identification on the foglites (i.e any part of the fog lite including perches and mounts and switches etc) whether internaly or externally that a reasonable person mite interpret as a PMCC identification and therfore believe that such specific foglites would be PMCC approved????

maybe?

Posted on: 2011/12/18 23:36
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Short answer to PackardV8; 22nd series dash switches included one labeled "Foglite".

Slightly longer answer; fog, driving, spot and other such lights made by Unity and others were available with any auto maker's identification that you wanted.

I really don't understand what you're after.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
To Packard V8:

Yes, Packard did have fog/driving lights as an approved accessory.

Ummmmm... you were on the Trippe Light thread. Did you see my post (#10) about "approved" accessories with the scan of the page showing the fog lights?

If not, then click here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8513&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Or below.

--Roger--

Attach file:

jpg  (177.30 KB)
436_4eef667620e55.jpg 857X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/12/19 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
"

If so, then did any such fog lites have any inscriptions, embossments, decals or any other form of identification on the foglites (i.e any part of the fog lite including perches and mounts and switches etc) whether internaly or externally that a reasonable person mite interpret as a PMCC identification and therfore believe that such specific foglites would be PMCC approved????"

HHuuuuuummmmmmm, I think I should have my lawyer present before I answer........maybe I'll just "plead the 5th"

Posted on: 2011/12/19 12:47
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved