Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

TxGoat, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Enjoying the Hobby
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
55PackardGuy mentioned that having a Packard friend nearby would be nice. I have several friends in the car hobby and I attend several cruises/shows with the Kish brothers. It really makes the hobby more enjoyable when you are able to share it with friends of like mind. I have been known to drive to New Jersey because of the camaraderie of the folks down there. In short I look forward to the New Year and thank all the folks who make this hobby so enjoyable. This naturally includes all the folks on this forum.
Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2011/12/28 16:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Enjoying the Hobby
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Randy, let me join in singing this song. I really enjoy the hobby and the various colors on this forum. Thanks guys!

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.pennfurnitureonline.com]

Posted on: 2011/12/28 16:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
one of the only problems i have still is the age gap from me to most of the owners, but even then its pretty good company. the age difference doesn't allow us to relate other then to Packards in general, but even then i didn't grow up with them in modern times.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/12/28 16:59
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Hank,

You're only as old as you feel, or is that feel as old as you are? Jokes aside, I'm just a big kid when it comes to Packards, have never grown up when it comes to them. What about guys who collect model trains? Randy, care to comment?

I'm also fortunate to live in a big city, 4 million plus population, which has an active Packard club and frequent contact with other Packard owners. Likewise, on the information superhighway, plenty of Packard interaction here on PackardInfo as well as on other Sites. The kaleidoscope of Packard life with it's diversity so colourfully illustrated by Gerd allows us all to share our passion.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 18:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
OK Mal, you asked for it. These are pics at my friend's home.
People who operate trains are quite different than train collectors. This fellow is a collector. This old home has 15 foot ceilings and floor to ceiling shelves.
And YES - I have as much fun with these folks as I do with my friends in the car hobby.
The trains are Standard gauge - the cars behind the lady are 19 inches long and the engine tender combinations are approximately thirty inches long.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.97 KB)
23_4efbb76e30a05.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (147.07 KB)
23_4efbb7854af8f.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (149.29 KB)
23_4efbb7cb3ef43.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/12/28 19:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's an impressive train collection. Do hope they're attached to the shelves. If not, i would sure hate to see any earth trembling anywhere close. That would be the train wreck of the century.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 20:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, Pittsburgh did have a small earthquake last summer.
The trains are just sitting on the shelves - no fastening.
Many collectors in Calif. have various means of stabilizing the collection. Earthquakes here are a rare anomaly.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know what would work on something like that. Bungee cords? You certainly wouldn't want something screwed into them. Maybe an enclosed shelf?

Earthquakes here are a rare anomaly.

Agreed--so far. Lets hope it stays that way and the prognosticators are wrong. I watched one of those doomsday programs last week & that program claimed the east coast is actually more vulnerable than we are here in Calif.. DC's little bump and shake earlier this year was just the tip.. and no one on your side of the country is prepared.

Actually, I don't think many out here are that prepared either. We are supposed to know better and be expecting and prepared for the big one. I know when we have ours, my book collection and garage will be a sorry mess--assuming the house is still upright.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 21:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
My late uncle had a similar room for his train collection. He collected mostly Lionel and American Flyer trains. After he finished his shelving and got the trains arranged the way he wanted them, he covered the shelving with 4 x 8 sheets of plexiglass screwed into the shelving. Kept his trains secure and you could still view them and have the grandchildren around without worrying about little fingers touching his collection.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 22:58
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have mine under sliding glass doors. My friend had a very modern, very efficient HVAC system installed so that he doesn't have to worry about dusting them.
Most of what you see in the pictures are American Flyer. I didn't show the Lionel or IVES rooms(LOL)
I collect mostly IVES and some Dorfan.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 0:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved