Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Thoughts On Recruiting The Next Generation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I am of the "new generation" i'm 27 now and i bought my 52 hardtop when i was 20. i strongly feel that younger generations need to be exposed to classic cars of any type be they 100% stock or modified. i got into Packard's from hearing stories from my grandfather about them as well as Cords LaSells and many other great touring cars from the depression era. I strongly feel that it doesn't matter if a builder goes 100% stock or spends a million dollars making a show only trailer car but that the cars will be around for years to come. With all the federal regulations and cash for clunkers programs any classic car we save from the crusher is saving a piece of American history. Trust me there will always be a youn guy wanting to buy your car.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
One of the major issues is that many of the younger generation don't know what a "Packard" is? It may be different in the U.S. but here in Aus its not a commonly known vehicle amongst the younger generation.

At the age of 15 I was reading a classic car magazine and saw a Packard and read the article about the car and from that moment I knew I wanted a Packard. I was lucky enough to buy my first Packard at 16 in 2004 (1934 Packard). This sparked an obsession which we can all relate to in our own way. I always thought I would have the one Packard but 3 years later I bought my second Packard (1955 Caribbean) and I love and enjoy driving both these cars.

These are both expensive cars to buy and keep running and this poses another problem, being able to afford these cars. Notably there are cheaper Packards, but if someone has the funds to purchase a car they are more likely to purchase something newer, more reliable.

It would be great to see a larger younger audience interested in these vehicles but its just a sign of change. I am positive given the chance under certain circumstances there are many of the young generation who would love to own an old car, to own a good old Packard.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
My youngest son 16, began last autumn to learn how to drive a car, in my Packard. Now during the winter, he can not have the snow to go away fast enough, so he can start the driving again. When servicing the car he is helping me - now we are fixing the brakes i.e. replacing the tubes, hoses, wheel cylinders and rebuilding the BTV.
I think it is important that the youngsters get "involved" with the cars and learn how the old cars work.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Do you let your children/grandchildren ever drive the car? Without hysteria from you?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:52
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I,m always sitting beside him, in the passanger seat. He is training for his driving licence.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/19 15:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Rocky46 wrote:....He is training for his driving licence. Tom

And when he gains his licence the not very often heard words "Can I borrow the Packard tonight Dad?"

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
That`s one of the costs for Recruiting The Next Generation!

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/20 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I just want throw it out there that hope for my generation is not lost!!! I am 18 now, and have owned my Packard since I was 14. And I'm not alone!! There are plenty of people my age that LOVE old cars, albeit maybe not Packards specifically. My best friend that I grew up with drives a '64 F100 to school everyday, and we go on road trips in our old cars to go to various shows around the state almost year round. And when at those shows, there are plenty of other young guys to talk with, share ideas, look at how they did things and show off how we did it.

I will agree that there are a lot of kids today that there is no hope for. But that is not unique to my generation!!! You can't tell me that when you were a kid every body had potential. There has always been and will always be people like that. No need to make generations about all young people though!! If you were a hot rodder in the 50s I'm sure you heard people say "There's no hope for the youth of today. Hot rodders with there dangerous fast cars, girls with tight skirts, and that ROCK AND ROLL music. No hope I tell you!" And look how you guys turned out. Just fine!!

Sorry to rant there a little bit.... My point is just some loose hope in us young guys because not all of us play video games and spend all there time of stupid social websites.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
fory,

Well and true said!

Tom

Posted on: 2012/3/25 3:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved