Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

37 120 Dashboard removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
I recently purchased a 37 120 coupe convertible and am trying to deal with some of the electrical issues. I need to replace the lights behind the dash and eventually repair the vacuum wiper motor. There is not much room to work behind the dash as I am sure you are aware. It looks like the instrument panel might be removable? Has anyone removed the instrument panel? Has anyone figured out an easy way to work behind the dash, remove the vacuum wiper motor, replace light bulbs?

Thanks for any advise,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/1/1 12:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 120 Dashboard removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Rod,
Congratulations on your Packard purchase and to PackardInfo but sorry I can't help with your request. Have you looked at the manuals in the Literature and Manuals section here on the Site, may be of some help? Failing anything in those, a close inspection after removing the seat bottom, laying some padding down and assuming an upside down position under the dash will help to investigate your access options. Good luck! I also invite you to include your '37 Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2012/1/1 21:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, i have found that the best way to work behind the dash is to remove the front seat squab and lie on your back with a reasonable torch. It works for me and I am 95 kilos wringing wet ( before a big lunch). Good luck Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/1/2 3:22
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
....ummmm Rod, please do not panic at Peter's suggestion - note that Peter lives in Australia where a torch is the common reference to a flashlight. Though you might get frustrated working on your back and reach for a real torch...please don't - the center panel is held to the dash substructure by 4 small bolts, if I recall. I can snap a picture of the panel when I return home on Friday - patience till then...or if you begin to remove, the wiring harness, temperature gauge, oil pressure line and throttle cable with fight you every inch of the way.

Posted on: 2012/1/2 16:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
I was hoping that someone would say that the dash panels were removable! It looked to me like they are but I did not want to make a mess of things before asking the question. Yes, I would love to see any pictures you may have. And yes, I knew what a torch was!

Thanks!!!!

Rod

Posted on: 2012/1/3 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear rsvls:

Yes, from 1935 on the Packard dashboard is a pretty tough nut. However, the panels usually didn't require much attention during the planned for service life of the car.

These cars had the dashboard assembled before the glass was installed. So they hooked up all the wires through the windshield. In fact for the Clipper - really a pain - the first page of the manual covers how to remove the windshield I presume to service the dashboard. Later service bulletins admitted it was a pain and advised making 10-32 studs to replace the original screws.

Now for your car the dashboard will come off. Some of the fasteners are covered by upholstery. However, you may regret such an action because it is much easier to do with the steering gear removed and, I believe, the windshield has to come out as well. When they built the car they dropped the completed body onto the chassis and the installed the steering wheel. Putting dashboards in prior to windshield glass was pretty much standard industry practice from around 1935 forward. Some GMs will come out with the glass in place (putting them back is a nightmare), but Packard liked to put the screws under the windshield rubber.

The above suggestion about seat removal and center panel removal are consistent with my experience and I will add that removing the glove box provides a means of access as well. Let me add as well that the careful application of penetrating oil a few days prior to service will make your life a lot easier.

If you are using a conventional incandescent drop light, affix a piece of cardboard to the back of the reflector with zip ties to prevent burning yourself and any soft parts.

Hope this helps, and take comfort in the fact that from 1938 forward Packard dashboards got progressively more difficult to service that your car.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 18:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for all the advise! Yes, this is the most compact dash I have ever worked on. Your comments about screws under upholstery surprised me as there is really no upholstery near the dash. The coupe convertible windshield is different from the other 37 models in that it is a separate chromed piece and not a part of the body sheet metal. I don't think I would gain any room by removing it?

Rod

Posted on: 2012/1/4 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Below are some pictures of one of the five 37 120 dashes I have. In removing them from cars without resorting to the drastic method I used on this one was to first remove the glovebox. It is held by 4 screws from the bottom that is its hinge datum. It is also held by a sliding stop that has a removable end. Second I remove the speedometer section which is also held at the bottom with 4 screws and from the back two studs on the section with nuts. I have more trouble with the center section than the other end sections combined. The most trouble I seem to have is from a car that the windshield is gone out of and it was allowed to rust the back of the dash. The pictures show such a dash. The light switch gives me the most trouble. I show a center section that only is attached to the CBU by two bolts on the bottom. The light switch, Throttle, key switch, lighter socket, and starter button help to hold it on. The gauge cluster is bolted by 4 stud like features that attach the cluster to the CBU. Side note the dash end pieces of a 115 have the bosses for the AC Delco chrome pieces there and by drilling out for the 4 screws that hold the chrome on you can use a speedometer and glovebox door from a 115C dash if you can't find 120C's.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.37 KB)
1153_4f05063ff1360.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (27.55 KB)
1153_4f05064d0e0c3.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (28.91 KB)
1153_4f05065ce315d.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (26.03 KB)
1153_4f05066c95d7b.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (26.01 KB)
1153_4f050677878af.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (38.18 KB)
1153_4f050685a0d2f.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (21.23 KB)
1153_4f0506916f607.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (24.63 KB)
1153_4f05069bc2f80.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (27.81 KB)
1153_4f0506a971515.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (24.67 KB)
1153_4f0506c27630d.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (38.37 KB)
1153_4f0506d031796.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/1/4 21:13
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
In my opinion, the 37 dash is the best looking dash of all the junior cars.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 22:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for the pictures. It still does not look easy! All I want to do is replace the light bulbs but the vacuum motor is not working so if I go all the way, I can repair it at the same time. I see no way to get to the vacuum motor without taking the dash apart. Someone prior to me installed a new wiring harness so I do not have the bare and brittle wire symdrome.

I think I have attached a couple of pictures of my car.

Rod

Attach file:

jpg  (41.27 KB)
4236_4f05241ce1f36.jpg 640X427 px

jpg  (40.71 KB)
4236_4f052486d937f.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 2012/1/4 23:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved