Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

COMING THIS WEEKEND
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Coming this weekend the history of a person who has never gotten enough credit, concerning the history of Packard and this persons impact on WWII.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/27 20:01
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: COMING THIS WEEKEND
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
One of the person that tends to get overlooked in Packard history is the LATE GREAT GAR WOOD.

Gar Wood was the first man to break 100 mph on water. Gar won five consecutive APBA Gold Cups a record which stood for over 66 years. Gar was also famous for his boat hull designs. His hull designed was the basis for the American PT boat. He is often called the Father of the PT boat.

Most of the boats he raced he named Miss America. Miss America X used four supercharged Packard? engines. Each engine was capable of developing over 2000 horsepower. The combined 8000 horsepower was the most power ever put into a 38 foot boat hull. This was the first boat to do two miles a minute obtaining a speed of 124.9 mph.

Through the combination of Gar Wood and Packard, the PT boat played a big part in Naval warfair during WWII, and helping win the war in Pacific.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/29 18:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
One of the person that tends to get overlooked in Packard history is the LATE GREAT GAR WOOD.John F. Shireman

John,

Saw a documentary on TV a little while ago which, while not specifically about Gar Wood, featured him and his boats prominently. The documentary was from the British perspective of the races between GB and the US, with Gar Wood and his boats including the one with the four supercharged Packard engines being most impressive. Don't know what it was called as I came in on it after the documentary had started. Your post has now stirred me to contact the TV station to try and determine the name of the documentary and whether it is available on DVD. I'll let you know how the request turns out.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Mal: Gar Wood was one hell of a man. With his own resources and money he did a pretty good job of capturing the British Harmswoth Trophy.

If there is a dvd of the the program you watched, I would be most inerested in purchasing a copy.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
Mal: Gar Wood was one hell of a man. With his own resources and money he did a pretty good job of capturing the British Harmswoth Trophy.

If there is a dvd of the the program you watched, I would be most inerested in purchasing a copy.

John F. Shireman

John,

Thanks, I was trying to remember the name of the trophy they were racing for but without success. And if a DVD is available I'll certainly remember you.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 20:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I remember the Harmsworth Trophy races on the Detroit River well especially when Canadian Bob Hayward won in 1959 in his Rolls-Royce powered Miss Supertest 111. He went on to win the trophy in 1960 and 61, the only boat to win the race in 3 consecutive years. He was killed tragically in 1961 on the Detroit River in Supertest 11. To see those boats race and to hear those big 12 cylinder engines roar was quite a thrill.

Posted on: 2008/3/29 21:16
 Top  Print   

12 cylinder Packard engines Gar Wood Miss America X
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tomstoys2
See User information
Hi everyone.
I would be interested in that DVD also. I'm new to the forum and came acrossed it in a Google search for info on Gar Woods Miss America X. I am working on a project to build an R/C version of it with my 10 yr old son.

Does anyone know anything about the 12-cyl supercharged Packard engines Gar Wood used? I need to find a car or airplane model with detailed engine to use in the boat.

Some good reading on the development of Miss America X
http://www.lesliefield.com/other_history/speedboat_kings_15_miss_america_x.htm

Thanks for your help.
Tom

Posted on: 2008/4/14 10:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 12 cylinder Packard engines Gar Wood Miss America X
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Robert Neal's "Packards at Speed" (Aero-Marine Publishing, 1995) is profusely illustrated and covers many of Packard engine's exploits in the air and on the water. It's a terrific addition to anyone's Packard library, as is it's companion book, "Packard Master Motobuilders". These are as much a "must have" book as the Kimes-edited tome. I believe both are still in print.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 10:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved