Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rubber body mounts
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
While replacing the numerous rusty sections of the floor board of the 51 Packard, I had to remove several of the body/frame bolts. Some were so rusty that one quarter turn on the wrench would break them in half. So after the new metal was in, I bought new Grade 8 bolts and nuts, but needed new rubber bushings. There are two types used - the upper one has a metal bushing in the center to keep the rubber from being crushed. This is the one between the bottom of the floor pan and the frame. The second one is underneath the frame, and is a rubber bushing with a large fender washer underneath it. I went to Napa to see if they could help me, and I found they have a generic motor mount rubber for about $2 each. The rubber is exactly the right diameter, but is too thick. (It is the thicker bushing on the left in the photo.) A few minutes with a band saw corrects this issue. A hacksaw will work, but the blade tends to wander. After the underside of the new metal was painted and undercoated, I installed the new bolts, washers and rubber bushings. I now feel comfortable knowing that the body and frame are now securely fastened together. Plus the Packard doesn't look like Fred Flintstone's car!

Attach file:

jpg  (73.07 KB)
1679_4f05c4a65e64e.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Rubber body mounts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to know something may be available locally. Metro Molded Partshttp://www.metrommp.com/ also has some generic body cushions in various sizes -- and considerably less in cost than some advertised elsewhere.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, nice to know about the NAPA rubber mounts. I have found that cutting rubber parts with a saw works better if the blade is lubricated rather than used dry. Water, oil, and brake fluid all work well.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/5 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Putting the rubber in the freezer mite help to. However note that there are special grinding wheels available for grinding rubber.

Gotta NAPA part # handy???? Add it to the "Packard Parts X-ref" (see left as main menue) or i'll add it. PRobably need to add HH56's link posted above too.

Thanks for the very helpful info.

How did u hold the rubber to saw it???? THat has always been a problem for me. Usualy i have to find some kind of PVC or thin wall tubing that the rubber will fit to keep it from distorting as i saw it or to allow for clamping in a vice..

Also need to watch for the rubbers softness/hardness. It is measured in uniots called Durometers. There is a simple hand held hardness tester that will measure it if in doubt. Usualy i just guess at it.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 18:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I held the mounts in the vice, which made it more difficult to cut straight. A band saw would work best I think. The rubber is fairly hard, but does compress when you get after the wrench. The Napa number is 602-1045. I added it to the data base, but I couldn't find the original part number for the upper or lower ones.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 20:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved