Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic rivet
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
Have just finished rebuilding the 23rd series ultramatic off of a 1950 Packard. I forgot to find another rivet when I ground out the old rivet, now the only folks that I've talked to that might have the right rivet are the aerospace rivet makers that sell them in bulk.

I'm probable not seeing it but does anyone know of a place to find the shoulder rivet for the ultramatic?

Thanks for the help,
Jason

Attach file:

jpg  (84.81 KB)
3340_4f0865e87e59d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 10:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic rivet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Where is it used and how much stress? If you can identify, maybe a part number can be found. If unique Packard, some vendors may possibly have it.

Otherwise, if none found and it's not a critical item McMaster has regular low profile solid steel or aluminum rivets in some sizes. The head looks the same and if the rest of the sizes can be matched perhaps the shoulder could be duplicated by a sleeve made of thin steel or aluminum tubing.

Any chance a shoulder screw could be made to work instead? McMaster also has several smaller sizes of those.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 11:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Post the Packard part number you need, I'll bet someone will respond.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 11:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
The rivet connects the control valve link to the inner lever. Dont know how much pressure is on the rivet but I'll look into the shoulder screw. I havent found a Packard part number for the rivet.
Thanks for the information. Jason

Posted on: 2012/1/7 17:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I used a binding post on my selector shaft. I used loctite to hold it tight.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 17:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Shouldn't be much stress there but if it's the early trans with two piece link then there may not have been a separate rivet listed since it says the lever and link are one assy. It appears they call it a pin and snap ring in later units with the one piece link so something along those lines possibly could be substituted.

Max does not list the pin as available but maybe Kanter or Joel would have it. A shoulder screw would probably work just as well for next time it's removed if you can make it fit.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.19 KB)
209_4f08d8268fc99.jpg 328X122 px

jpg  (17.65 KB)
209_4f08d8a36359d.jpg 693X100 px

jpg  (24.04 KB)
209_4f08d8ae47224.jpg 704X185 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 18:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
The guys at Kanter and Max Merritt didn't have the rivet. One of the first people I called. I do like the shoulder screw and nut idea.

Thanks for your help.
Jason

Posted on: 2012/1/8 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
look at this link to see what i did on my selector shaft...or maybe we are not talking about the same thing and i'm confused.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=653&forum=10&post_id=50013#forumpost50013

Posted on: 2012/1/8 19:52
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved