Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

R H, moodydavid16, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A Note on Chrome Plated Door Latches
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Folks:

Given there are a couple of cars being restored here I figure I would put in a word about refinishing door latches.

I think almost every original car with plated latches has doors that close better than restored cars. The usual situation is the car comes apart, wood is replaced, doors reinstalled and then it is found that the doors just don't work as well as original. That is, the doors are harder to close and they don't have that nice feel they did before.

I was looking at this situation for someone and concluded that the best way to refinish the latches is to avoid submerging the latch springs in a plating bath. What happens is that the bath reacts with the spring steel and changes the frequency of the spring. Then when the car goes together the doors suck.

To avoid this, the plater has to be cooperative and dip only what is visible. The rest of the unit can be taped with masking tape and marked "do not submerge".

Of course this will require that the parts go to the plater absolutely clean for a strip and dip. So get some good solvents and thoroughly clean the parts up before hand. Sandblasting is not a good idea unless the parts are rusted in which case the non-visible surfaces should be painted.

Those are my two cents.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 18:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved