Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

East Grand Blvd., Conner Ave. or even Moscow?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe it was a combination of two factors in 1940 that had Packard move it body building to Briggs. The first was the introduction of the new Clippers with entirely new bodies, and the contract to build RR Merlin engines. Initially, there was not enough factory floor space to do the bodies for new Clippers and build the Merlins at the same location at the same time. The bodies for the traditional styled Packards continued to be made at EGB until production ceased because of WW-II. After the war Briggs continued as Packard's body builder through the 1954 models. Correct?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/12 12:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Merlin Engine V-1560
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe I'm correct when I say that Briggs also built the "conventional" bodies in 1941 and 1942.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, good to have this information. Have you captured any data on Briggs body numbers from the 1941-42 traditional styled Packards? I should go back and read your articles on this subject.

I recall reading that Packard built a 100,000 sq.ft. facility for the Merlin contract in record time to get the badly needed engines to England. Much activity going on at Packard in those months before the U.S. entered the war.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/12 14:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: East Grand Blvd., Conner Ave. or even Moscow?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Roger (RogerDetroit), I went back and found a picture (thanks to Howard) that shows the separate building with the white roof in the thread Packard Plant: Aerial Photos - Dec 2011. Thanks for sharing.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/1/12 16:39
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I believe I'm correct when I say that Briggs also built the "conventional" bodies in 1941 and 1942.

Dave (Owen), I am almost sure that your wording "believe" has been intended as a display of politeness rather than a serious doubt. To make sure to come to a real understanding I kindly ask you to substantiate your belief. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 16:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I just finished an excellent biography of Henry Ford, "The Peoples Tycoon" by Steven Watts. In the book there is mention of Ford reneging on an agreement brokered by his son Edsel to manufacture 6000 engines for Rolls Royce (which I assume was the Merlin) prior to the US entering the war in 1940. I had known that Henry Ford refused the contract to build the engines but didn't know that he had in fact accepted the contract then cancelled much to the embarrassment of Edsel.
After Dec.7 1941 Ford changed his mind and wholeheartedly supported the war effort as we know.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave (clipper47), I have read that the company accepted but Henry Ford refused.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 17:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha said I am almost sure that your wording "believe" has been intended as a display of politeness rather than a serious doubt. To make sure to come to a real understanding I kindly ask you to substantiate your belief. Thanks in advance.

No Gusha, I meant it exactly as I said it. I believe it's true but can't lay my hands on any definitive proof at the moment.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 18:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Oh Dave, your words bring disaster over me. For three years the assembler-argument has been one of my preferred replies to disprove the myth around the origin of the Soviet tools. I'm afraid that its deciples will joyfully ram me into the ground.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...The bodies for the traditional styled Packards continued to be made at EGB until production ceased because of WW-II...

To make the best of a bad job, now the inverse direction. John (JW), I kindly ask you to substantiate the above quoted sentence. Which source or deliberation led you to that statement? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 9:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved