Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

naPA 7212 :cake!
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I switched out my 600 cch battery for a napa 7212 with 1100 cch ,a mod that hed been reccomended in the threads ,
Wow what a difference
,the battery is almost twice as large as the little 600,,and weaighs a lot more .48 lbs of lead .The required tray mod was painless;
I removed the battery , I slit the tray from right to left at the 1/2 way point of its legnth while still bolted to the inner fender, right in place into 1/2's, with an abrasive wheelmounted on a 4 1/2 hand grinder and removed the back 1/2 ..so far so good
I had a piece of 16 guage sheetmetal 8 x 18 for the new floor of the tray and had painted it ahead of time yesterday

there are 4 existing convienently placed holes in the corners of floor of the existing tray that allow the longer piece of sheet metal to bolt right in to make the tray longer ,16 '' 'S IS REQUIRED TO HOLD THE TALLER AND LONGER BUT NOT WIDER HEFTY 7212 ,I used 4 flat headed 1/4 in machine screws so the tops wouldnt poke up into the battery base .
the sheetmetal floor required a teeny bit of notching and fitting to fit around a flange on the wheel side of the tray that was there to hold the original battery in place away from the inner fender ,also easily accomplished with the abrasive wheel.

I saved the last 2 " piece of sheet metal Ihad trimmed off the legnth of the new sheetmetal tray floor ;the existing tray has a 2 pieces of flanged metal which reinforce the inner wheel fender on the wheel side ,the front one won,t be disturbed, but the rear one will no longer be in the right position for the newly legnthend tray ,so the saved scrap piece of metal now 2 x 8, can be predrilled to be placed onside the wheelwell to reinforce the sheetmetal of the wheel well where the bracket will attach ,where it has to bear some of the weight of the new monster battery ,I marked the holes on this piece from the loose back 1/2 of the tray before I bolted the whole thing to gether so they would register ,the top hole of my new reinforcing plate was actually a 3 hole wide slot so to allow for some slop on the boltup
,I used 5/16 x 1 " bolts which is plenty long for the wheel well,bracket,a washer ,and a lock washerand the nut .I had to hold the tray bolt with a box wrench while reaching into the wheelwell with a socket/extention to tighten the tray nuts,that was a bit acrobatic.
Done! tightened up everyting ,nice and rigid when done .A new piece of rubber under the battery ,put on the cables ,reattach the hold down bungie cord ,jump the voltage regulator leads with the loop of wire,a trickle charge for a couple of hours voila ! the entire operation took an hour and 1/2 theres plenty of room for the increased height of the battery the way the hood is shaped , I betcha the old 6 volt batterys were taller than the new, now microscopic and insignificant appearing 600 cch battery.
The verdict? the battery looks like its the right size and started the engine nicley sans hesitation and with a nice sence of authority,a psychologic a +, and we'll go for a raod test today tp proof the pudding

Posted on: 2012/1/16 16:48
 Top  Print 

Re: naPA 7212 :cake!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Steve,
I liked what you did.....I'm not very good at doing something from a verbal only instruction like you wrote. I need pictures in order to get another perspective so I understand what's being said. That having been said, if it's not too much trouble would you please take pictures of what you did and include a ruler or some other known object to increase my understanding. If you can do that, I can build it too.
Thanks, Steve Fisher

Posted on: 2012/1/16 18:26
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, glad you found the NAPA 7212 to your liking. As I said when I recommended it, I've been using it (and it's predecessor #) for a long time with outstanding results.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 19:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
ill try to take a shot ,my little flip phone is advanced as Ive gotten and its loaded up with kid pictures ,I still havent figured out how to download them so I can take more!then to get them on the site ,Then I can take a pic of the 52 and show her off ,im looking forward to my am commute to work in the packard, I particularly love the little green shift indicator

Posted on: 2012/1/16 20:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
Hey steve thanks for sharing this info. I too have a '52 and am trying to get all the electrical as best as i can get it. this is good info. we will all apreciate the pic when u get to it. thanks

Posted on: 2012/1/16 21:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Steve thanks for what ever you can do. I was just thinking that Vancouver, WA, isn't to far away from California, if you're out driving around tomorrow........just saying.....as for Tim in Hawaii, we'll have to work something out.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 23:31
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Here are the shots of the battery tray snip in 1/2 operation ,look haw correct the battery looks ,one shot is inside the wheel well where one can see the old reinforcement and the new pate I stuck ion there ,not so elegant ,sorry ,the battery tray ,you can see its cut in 1/2 along the base of the battery and theres a new floor under it with a PIECE OF PLATE the view by the terminal show s the light comming through te old hole and the new bolt farther back you can just barley see it by the terminal , hope thats helpfull
the last shot is the wrong pulley on the generator thats been causing me innumerable headaches !

Attach file:

jpg  (99.76 KB)
2990_4f1f00358c1fa.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (139.21 KB)
2990_4f1f004f2bad4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (79.91 KB)
2990_4f1f006961254.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (51.99 KB)
2990_4f1f012435caa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/1/24 14:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
I was just looking at that battery on line.

My O'Reillys I bought in April 2015 is a joke that's not funny, the date on the battery is February 2015.

Using this year and half old battery that was kept tendered to try and start my fresh gone thru motor is frustrating!
I feel robbed especially after talking with O'Reillys telling me I'm stuck with it or buy a new one from them. (Hardly)

The Napa battery gives you a 30 month (2-1/2yrs) warranty and that's good compared to my 1 yr warranty.
And why only a one year?
Is it because it's a 6 volt when 12 volts are 3 yr?

Anyhow nice to see this thread after just finding this Napa battery online...

Posted on: 2016/12/5 0:35
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved