Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: Engine Motor Numbers
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like they used a common casting across the line and perhaps machined to actual application. Also if the pre-1951 blocks (288/327) are the same casting number.

I would imagine the 9 bearing motors are a different casting, wonder if the hydraulic lifter 5 bearing ones are different than the solid lifter ones.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 22:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe. The 48 Keith posted has a different number but that is probably more for the different mount accommodations. Guess it wouldn't hurt to get a few more and see what the pattern might be.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 22:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That's what I figured. I know the 51-54 blocks had all the proper holes in the front of the block to accommodate front mounting in the pre-1951 chassis. But obviously not the other way around. This was probably so they could be used as service motors.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 23:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
One can change the 48-54 engines from 288s to 327s and vise versa without a moments care as the castings are the same. Its just a change of crank and rods. Likewise with the lifters--one need change only the cam and lifters and change the size of the bleed hole in the front plug of the cam gallery. When Packard charged you extra for the 327 they made a nice profit as there is hardly any extra cost in the engine.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 11:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are the 48-50 blocks already drilled for the side engine mounts? I thought that was the difference.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 11:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved