Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 117

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Engine Motor Number Photos Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Photo's from a '32 model 901.

See red rectangle's

Attach file:

jpg  (113.37 KB)
1584_4f1b2378a79b8.jpg 1024X609 px

jpg  (107.23 KB)
1584_4f1b23850a80b.jpg 1024X737 px

Posted on: 2012/1/21 15:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
32Model901; I'm not familiar with the 32s, and your photos intrique me. Are you indicating that your engine# is repeated on the frame, or that your frame# happens to be the same as the engine#? Then do you have a separate frame # underneath the frame by the rear of the front left spring shackle (just above the trunnion block)?

Jumping ahead to 1934, the frame# is in the same general number series as the engine but is a distinct and different number. Ditto for the steering gear number.

For example from my 1934 Eight:

Engine# 375137
Frame# 375447
Steering gear# 375627

Posted on: 2012/1/21 17:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, in Robert Neal's new book on the 1948-50 Packards is a good photo showing the location of all the identification numbers in the engine compartment (engine, theft proof, Briggs, and patent plate). Perhaps you could get permission from him to use this for the 22nd and 23rd Packards.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/22 10:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
32Model901, thanks for the photos.

JW, Thanks for info. A really nice photo in the book. There is an article and drawing in a 1946 Service Counselor with similar information. Not sure how far back it applies but so far, only verified to be correct for 21-23 series.

Was going to use the article drawing if no other photos came in. Would much prefer a photo of just the side of engine area to keep things consistent. Any takers?. I have a poor quality photo of a 21st 356 but hopefully something better will be posted.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 11:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Owen,

Engine # is unique, not a duplicate of the frame # by the steering box. There is a difference of a few hundred.

Checked the frame on the left side just above the trunnion block, didn't see a number there.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/22 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
HH56,

My pleasure. Good idea on adding this info to the site. Hopefully others will contribute.

A place for original interior upholstery details would be a great future project.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2012/1/22 14:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Owin, I know this has been discussed before. Engine number, frame number, steering gear number, Firewall vin number plate and theft proof number. My 29 has a correct number that matches the title on the firewall tag, different number on the frame and steering gear and as of yet, no number found on the engine left front leg. So, what is the relation of these various numbers, especially the firewall tag versus frame number?

Posted on: 2012/1/22 21:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jim, speaking again mostly from my knowledge of the 11th series, I don't believe there is any correlation between frame#, steeing gear#, and engine#, other than the former two numbers being within the same general numeric range as the engine#. Engine number, vehicle number, and thief-proof number don't have a numeric correlation to each other but were recorded by the factory and retained by them and the dealer and probably the branch in the form of the Vehicle Unit Record Cards as discussed in my articles on the thief-proof numbers. There may have been other records as well, still lost to time.

Based on my knowledge of the 34 cars (and I don't know how far this can be extended in either direction), if any of the three (engine, frame & steering gear numbers) happened to match, it would be sheer coincidence. An exception perhaps, if the sale was a chassis only for full custom coachwork, the vehicle number often appears on the frame, for example 1107-21 as both a VN and chassis#, would be the 11th 1107 chassis-only. The same situation has been observed on a couple of those few junior cars sold as a chassis-only for full custom coachwork.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 10:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
1948 Packard 327

Attach file:

jpg  (103.07 KB)
971_4f1f445103310.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/1/24 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Post war 6 cyl

Attach file:

jpg  (100.51 KB)
971_4f1f460a1fe0f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/1/24 19:00
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved