Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fred's 1956 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
I guess that its time to start posting some pisc of my Clipper now that the real work has begun. Since this was one of the snowiest winters on record here in Detroit, I was able to work much on my car this winter. Having a garage that is only 20x20, its not really possible to work in the winter with the door closed, so things have been at a stand still since last fall. Finally got the car moved to my mechanic about two weeks ago, and here is what has been found so far.
The cooling system looked fine until the engine was torn down. The block water jacket was almost completely filled with sediment. The casting plugs
were almost rusted through, the sediment kept them from leaking. Most of the valve stems are bent and the tolerances on the valve guides is way, way off. The cylinder tolerances are also way off. my 352 is going to become a 374. And as long as we're in the cylinder, a previous mechanic had installed the pistons backward, so that the oil groove on the connecting rods was facing away from the camshaft. Thus leading to the next problem. Without lubrication the camshaft has damaged, now requiring a regrinding if its possible.
Moving on, the crankshaft oil seal was bent, and not properly seated, so there was quite a bit of oil in the timing case and wear on the timing chain. Now on to the fuel system, the original steel fuel line had been disconnected and a rubber line installed, ok..... but not such a good idea to weave it through the torsion bars and between the exhaust manifold and the block.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.37 KB)
278_47f18a7a98bc3.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (47.96 KB)
278_47f18b1c9aba0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/3/31 20:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Fred's 1956 Clipper
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks like you are tearing right into it! Do you have any body pictures you can share with us?

Posted on: 2008/3/31 20:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The camshaft bearings have their own oil supply, so that isn't what hurt the cam. The cylinder walls may not have received enough oil to lube them properly. This is the second time I've heard about rods or pistons being installed wrong. A fellow Packard owner in Buffalo had bought a 56 400 that a Ford mechanic put together trusting his memory rather than the shop manual. Just as he got to Warren Ohio the engine seized and took the tops off several pistons. I think the car is still just sitting in his garage. Although I know some 352 engines have been bored out to 374, I would have the block measured carefully before that is attempted. If the block is boiled out and then baked and shotpeened it should be free of sediment. Perhaps Jack Vines and some other knowledgeable V8 engine folks will chime in here. I wish you good luck on your project.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 20:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Are you sending the block and heads out for chemical stripping? I would really, really recommend that rather than the usual auto parts store "hot tank" treatment.
I take everything to American Metal stripping in Toledo, and consider it well worth the drive time.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 8:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
The block and heads are going to be chemically stripped. I'm not sure who Dan Boehm is going to use. As you can see, the engine was painted a teal color. So that also has to be taken care of. I need to find one rocker cover, as I have one Clipper cover and one Packard cover. As soon as I get the car back, I'll take more pictures. The trans is currently over in St. Clair Shores at Pointe Automatic Transmission being overhauled. The wiper motor is boxed up and ready to get shipped out to Ficken. I haven't decided just what to do about the washer unit. I have pretty much decided to go with one of Bob Aller's oil pumps. I thought about using one of the PI oil pumps, but I really want to keep the vacuum wipers. Now if I can only find a long, narrow box that will hold my electric antenna, I can get that sent out for repair.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 22:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Update time:

Wiper motor has been shipped to Ficken The washer pump has been packed and is ready to be sent to McVey's to be rebuilt. Replacement parts are starting to arrive for the engine. A 'Clipper' rocker cover has been acquired and has been sent with the other one to the stripper. The exhaust manifolds and the rocker covers are going to be powder coated. If we can only find the correct metallic green! The splasher pan has also been stripped and is going to powder coated a semi-gloss black. Located 2 rear bumper ends, to replace the stainless steel replicas that are on there now. Got the power antennae apart, so I can send it off to be rebuilt. Now I know why it wouldn't go down. the 'noodle' was broken as it entered the motor housing and as also kinked up in side the mast. Now everything will fit inside a fairly small box. Power washed the engine bay to remove about an inch and a half of accumulated oil, grease and grime.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.89 KB)
278_4810ac3ed8fee.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/24 10:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Wiper motor

Attach file:

jpg  (44.72 KB)
278_4810b176ed1e4.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/24 11:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Washer pump

Attach file:

jpg  (40.65 KB)
278_4810b20027136.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/24 11:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Glad to see you going into such detail! It will be well worth it in the long run, IMO. Please keep us informed.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/4/24 21:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Trond Skattum
See User information
Great to see and hear there are more Clippers out there being taken care of.
Have attached a photo of my 56 Clipper Sedan located in Norway.
TrondS

Attach file:

jpg  (110.39 KB)
1142_49359c97446bc.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/2 15:37
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved