Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6th series rods and pistons
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
I have read the repair manual and still do not know the answer, can the piston and rod be removed thru the top (head off) with the 626 3 3/16 bore engine? Book talks about pulling the cyl off the crankcase with rods and pistons still on the crank. The "Packard Paddock" website has the cyls being removed. I asked him about that and he said the engine was coming out and all the way down anyway.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 19:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 6th series rods and pistons
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on my familiarity with later 3-3/16 bore engines, the answer to your question is no, the big end of the rod is larger than the bore. Two options:

1. Remove cylinder head. One by one drop the rod caps, push the rod and piston up high enough to remove the piston pin. Then remove the piston from above and the rod from below.

2. Disconnect all the rod caps. Remove all the fasteners holding the cylinder bore to the crankcase, and lift it out with the pistons and rods still in the bores. Easier than it sounds!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/25 20:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 6th series rods and pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
That is correct. I have done it both ways, and option 2 is certainly easier. You are also much less likely to bang up the rod bearings.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/26 13:14
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved