Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

Jeff Williams, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sleeving the wheel support upright
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
I just finished rebuilding most of the front end on my '38 Eight and found that the wheel supports need to be sleeved after I installed the new King Pins. The King Pins are reamed perfectly but the wheel support (section between the bushings) appears to have a little too much play in it. Looks like sleeving the support is the best answer. Yes I know I should have test fit it before we assembled the unit. Everything will come apart real easy if necessary. Also, can the lower support pin get this sleeve too?

Anyone have experience in this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

DJ

Posted on: 2012/1/31 12:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Sleeving the wheel support upright
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Your situation is not uncommon - good of you to note this detail that sometimes gets ignored when new kingpins are installed. Yes, you will have to take it back to the shop and have it sleeved. Used wheel supports, even when available, may also have this wear, so best to stick to plan A.
As for the lower support, same answer - wow, your front suspension must have been ridiculously worn to have so much play. I would love to see pictures of the worn out pins for show and tell purposes.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 14:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Before these cars became "collectibles" and fell into the hands of those who bought them solely for cheap transportation, I doubt they ever saw much in the way or grease jobs or other lubrication needs.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Wish I had found this thread before I replaced the king pin in my 38 Jr. Have the exact situation but my lower pin is fine. Did the sleeving work?

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I'm really not sure just what you are talking about.

If you are talking about the support in which the king pin is pinned stationary, that will get ovalled due to collapsed springs beating the daylights out of the suspension.

If you are talking about the space between the steering knuckle and the support, that gets a bearing and shims. There is a specification in the manual for preload/pull of around 3 lbs. The shims go between the knuckle and the support (top side). That little bearing bears all the load of the vehicle which is why I don't go for over inflated tires.

However, I think the Safety-Flex gets a bad rap for king pin wear because of spring sag. Make sure your springs are good or you are throwing your money away.

Also, when you grease the chassis make sure the suspension is hanging and that you use a grease with good pumpability. I used to use Pennzoil 705 because heavier greases will blow the freeze plug before they flow to that little bearing. So make sure you pack that bearing during assembly with a long life grease.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I'm talking about the support where the king pin is pinned stationary. My front springs meet the shop manual specs

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:28
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved