Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

37Blanche, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

37 120 grill louvers
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
I recently purchased a 37 120 coupe convertible and am trying to get to know the car. I think I read somewhere that the louvers on a 37 120 were variable based on radiator temperature. It appears the louvers may be moveable but there is no linkage. The radiator has a thermostatic capsule in the upper right rear of the upper tank.

So, my question is are the louvers supposed to be moveable and if so, what does the linkage look like.

Thanks for any help,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/1 23:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 120 grill louvers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Rod,

Here's a pic of a '39 120 setup, should be similar to what yours should be. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a pic of the rod running forward from the pivot arm to the grill slats.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.17 KB)
226_4f2a14eed77da.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/2/1 23:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Rod, the 1937 120Cs and 115Cs do not use the moveable grille bars. Your radiator was probably replaced with one from a later year. Your car uses a traditional thermostat housed in the water outlet on the front of the cylinder head. Also, your car does not use a pressurized radiator cap, unless your radiator has been retrofitted to accommodate one. Count yourself lucky that you do not need to contend with the moveable bars.

I believe the method of controlling engine temperature with moveable grille bars was introduced to the Junior cars with the 1938 Sixes and Eights. Interesting these cars could also use a conventional thermostat in addition to the one that controlled the moveable bars.

Let the rocks and arrows start flying.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/2 11:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
My '38 Eight has the moveable louvers and they are soooo coool. The linkages are easy to get working and a little patience in aligning the parts is necessary to make it happen. The brass bellows control unit in the upper tank is pricey at $225 but it does work well. Many vendors have them. Don't forget the two gaskets around it.

How cool to see all that chrome closed up when she cools down. I can send pix on my system and more info if you wish.

PS. Keep the moving parts lubed and free as they like to rust up.

DJ

Posted on: 2012/2/2 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
The 1937 Deluxe models (120CD) did come with thermostatically controlled grille louvers. Does your data plate have a "CD" prefix ?

Posted on: 2012/2/2 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
According to the parts manual, the 120CDs and 138CDs came with the moveable shutters.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/2 18:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for all the information! I looked at the data plate and there are no letters just 1099-3461. My thermostat looks like the picture above but all I have sticking out is a threaded stud so I am missing all the rest of the linkage. The louvers are pinned on the bottom and could rotate if the tops rotated but the top brackets are all bolted to the back of the grill. Again, looks like I am missing the linkage that connects the grill louvers together and the rod, etc that makes them operate.

Does anyone know if this linkage is available?

Thanks for all the knowledge,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/2/2 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Hello,

Below is a picture from my unrestored 1937 120CD Sport Coupes grille assembly.. It shows the linkage assy that attaches to the thermostat housing on the radiator. I also have a 1937 138CD Limo and it has is the same parts. I do have an extra linkage from a 37 Senior car but I can't remember if it is the same. It is with my Limo parts in Kansas and it is not readily available to check. It seems to be a simple shaft and pivot, and could easily be fabricated. If you need I could disassemble and sketch it where a handy person or a fab shop could duplicate. I belive the Jr and Sr can use the same thermostat, the JR one was rated at a lower temp than the SR, but each could use the other if need be.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.84 KB)
1153_4f2b45e57588d.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/2/2 21:27
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
I almost forgot I was in Detroit the end of last year and Mahoning63 and I went and visited Cli55er's Grandfathers old car a 138CD Limo like mine and I took a picture of the Radiator with the linkage setup. Here it is.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.97 KB)
1153_4f2b49f2b3186.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2012/2/2 21:44
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

packick
See User information
The "CD" on the data plate is not necessarily the true indication of a CD model.

I had a 1937 120 Club Sedan which did NOT have a CD on the data plate but had all of the CD options (shutter grille, Marshall springs in the seats, senior tail light lenses, senior gear shift knob, interior door trim, etc.). I think adding all of these items at the dealership to make a non-CD car a CD car would have required a lot of time/work since there are so many to install (especially the grille). So I believe those options had to have been installed at the factory. But again, no CD was on the data plate. I have talked to "CD" owners with CD-optioned cars who also don't have a CD on the data plate.

Any other input on this?

Posted on: 2012/2/3 0:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved