Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

starting my 52/200
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
Hello;
I have been working on a minor tune up on my 52/200. had some trouble, but got everything back together. HH56 answered some ? for me and a mechanic friend stoped by and helped me.
while i did this job i cleaned and tightened every wire i could think of ..... any wires to do with the starter, distrib, generator, and voltage reg.
when the mechanic came by he set the timing and we started the car. he adjusted the carb and was very happy. the car did sound better than b 4, but now we noticed an exhaust issue . like an exh. manifold gasket. ok , so that is the next project.
the mechanic thought my batt. was low by the sound of the car when starting. my volt. meter registered exactly 6 volts. my mechanic insisted the batt is low. so i have had the batt on trickle charge for several hours. the mechanic hooked my car up to his jump starter(12 volts) I was afraid , but he said no auxilary electrical on & a quick turn off when my car starts would not hurt anything.
what is strange now is that when i start the car it does sound like the batt is weak. and after the charge it registers over 6 volt on the meter. BUT WHEN I TURN the key to the left or auxilary and try ant start it sounds perfect.
andy advice???
thanks in advance
could the 12 volt jump starter have damaged something.?

Posted on: 2012/2/6 0:56
 Top  Print   

Re: starting my 52/200
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
one more thing:
the specific issue is that when i try and start the car it does sound like the batt is weak because the starter does not turn fast; like ther isn't enough juice to operate it. and when the key switch is turned to the left it sounds perfect.
thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/6 1:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
what is strange now is that when i start the car it does sound like the batt is weak. and after the charge it registers over 6 volt on the meter. BUT WHEN I TURN the key to the left or auxilary and try ant start it sounds perfect.

The standing full charge measured across the battery should be about 6.3v. When engine is running and generator charging, between 7 and 7.5v depending on how much load or depletion the generator has to replace.

Referring to your observation, if wired per factory the only difference between the two switch positions is the coil is not powered when in the aux position.

With a slowdown or loading of the starter in right or run position, makes me suspect the timing is still not quite correct--maybe a bit advanced. An easy way to verify is to remove the center high voltage lead from distributor, ground it against the block and then crank the engine in the normal position and compare to the aux position. If they are now the same, then would look at timing again.

I'm not an engine guy so some of the engine experts may have a better suggestion.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Having had similar problems with my 51 200, I vote for replacing the cable from the battery to the starter, using O or OO cable available from Napa or a welding supply store. Napa also sells pre fluxed copper ends - just remove some insulation from the wire, stick it into the end cap and apply heat from a propane torch. Just make sure to keep the wire as short as possible; you just need enough to reach the starter and have some extra for engine movement. Most of the cables you find in the autoparts stores nowdays are made for 12 volt and are too small for the amp load of 6 volts. Also, remove the ground strap and clean any paint or grease off the engine as well as the strap. Hope this helps.

The previous note suggested checking the timing - if it's off, the engine will turn sluggish. Another thing to check.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the advice. yes, i plan to check what you mentioned mr grubbs.
i re did the timing yesterday and the car starts right up like it should. so that is good.
i also learned that i don't have the output on the generator that HH56 described. so that is another issue.
when i drove the car yesterday around my neighborhood when i got her up to say 40mph she started runing real rough.
so i have more work to do. when i got back after the drive i re checked the timing and it was right on.
so when i have time i will review and study and go back to square 1 !. this is all new to me. when i was a kid i would ask my grandfather or my cousin who was a retired mechanic for chrysler. but they are all gone .
also the exhaust gaskets don't sound good at all.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 16:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved