Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 245

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is the brightwork on my 1938 dash? Chrome or stainless?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
I need to polish or somehow improve the look of the "chrome" bands that run horizontally on my 1938 dash panels or the vertical bands of the center piece where the ash tray is.

All these bright strips look like they had a clear lacquer spray that has "ruffled". But it may not be a clear cover. It may be chrome that needs re-chroming. Or it may be stainless.

I'm sure this is an old question to most of you, but it is new to me. How should I clean these shiny items. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 19:09
 Top  Print   

Re: What is the brightwork on my 1938 dash? Chrome or stainless?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
They should be chrome. If they have been sprayed with clear, I'm not sure how to brighten them up. If not covered, you can use Nevr-Dull or any other non-grit based metal polish to clean up chrome.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/2/7 10:01
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
Thanks.

The more I look and work with the parts, it seems to me that all the shiny pieces are chromed pot metal. The large casting in the center that holds the ash tray looks like it is all pot metal. On the left dash insert and the right-hand glove box door, it looks like the horizontal strips are chrome-plated pot metal parts that are braded to the steel dash inserts using cast pins made into the pot metal casting.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.32 KB)
3557_4f31ee32814ab.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/7 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
That agrees with my observations when we took our 1601 dash apart during the restoration.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 2:21
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved