Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Side Mirror Glass Replacement
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I received a side mirror for my '54 in the mail today from yet to be determined benefactor. I need to replace the actual mirror glass as it lost all of it silvering.

Has anyone else every had to replace the mirror glass on a side mirror were the mirror is held in place by the rolled edge of the house mirror housing?

Just wondering if this is something a local glass/mirror place can do or I can do myself.

Looks like the edge would have to be unrolled to get the old glass out and the new mirror glass put it, and then rolled again (with breaking) to hold the new mirror.

Or I could take the cheap bastard way out and stick a new piece of mirror that is the right side over the old one.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 14:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Side Mirror Glass Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Have the whole thing chrome plated......?

Posted on: 2012/2/16 14:38
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
lol...funny

But alas even if that was physically possible it would, and probably more expensive they replacing the mirror glass.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 14:47
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

Glad to hear you found a correct piece for your Clipper.

The 55-56 outside rear view mirror uses a modified version of the same basic casting for the stem/base as the 51-54, but the head is same style.

Several years ago, I purchased an expensive repro from American Arrow Corp., which arrived with the correct head, but the wrong base (stem angled for 51-54 orientation). Also, as received, the glass was falling out of the head. So, I returned it. They sent the same mirror back with glass re-installed, but now an unsightly ding/nick in the head shell. Yet, the supplier would not acknowledge my complaint that base was incorrect for 55-56 and refused to refund or replace. I tried to file a bit off of the stem to get a better angle, but (unable to disasemble) it was no use.

As a result, I kept an eye out for and eventually located a couple of correct used OE mirrors, but need to replace the glass, which is long gone from both.

IIRC, from the American Arrow repro, the [edge of the glass was also cut/ground on a bevel, all around. However, I'm not sure how they could crimp the edge of the mirror shell without messing up the chrome-plating. Clearly, the glass has to go in last - after the shell is fastened to the stem/base.

So, I'd also like to find out where one could have the glass properly replaced for this type of mirror.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.67 KB)
103_4f3d600b12fa4.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/2/16 15:05
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Isn't the itself "head" just stainless? I have a couple of dings that I need to work out of this one So if I can find a place that can replace the glass by unrolling, and rerolling the stainless edge, then I will break out the old glass and tap out the dings before having them do so.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 15:23
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The head is obviously formed from some sort of sheet metal, but I never tried any test to see if it was stainless.

Even if it is stainless, I thought perhaps it might have a flash coat of chrome, as the OE used ones had a thin coat of some powdery corrosion on the head as well as the stem/base.

The cast portion only showed the beginnings of some pitting, but polished up nice enough for use on a driver.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 15:45
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I spoke to Jay Fischer's wife a couple of weeks ago about a mirror as I am looking for a pair. He is getting out of the business, and only had one 51-54 mirror left. But he wanted $380 for that single mirror, and that is way beyond my budget. I wasn't aware the American Arrow (Don Summer) also reproduced these as well. Any idea what his pricing is like as I would like to find a mate for this one.

BTW for reference, the mirrors are interchange right to left.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 15:47
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Fisher's mirror were nice examples of workmanship, but his repro for the 55-56 Packards were not entirely authentic. They are fastened from the inside (like more modern mirrors) and the glass is glued into a recess in a cast head (again, like more modern mirrors. Not a problem for a driver, but likely to cost judged points for show.

Yes, the OE mirrors offered from 1951 to 1956 were universal LH or RH - elegant simplictiy.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 15:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From American Arrow (Don Sommer):

51-54 - $350
55-56 - $375

Not familiar with his mirrors but his other products show superb workmanship.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 16:33
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the information. Do you know if that is per mirror, or a pair?

Posted on: 2012/2/16 17:13
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved