Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

3 old packards, barn find stash
Just popping in
Just popping in

Packardrat
See User information
Hello,

Today, a friend of mine showned me five old cars in a barn, 3 of which are packards. A 1936 120 sedan, a 1937 160 series sedan (supposedly a pace car?)and a 1940 possibly 120 convertible. They are all eight cyl. cars.
Can some kind person help me out by giving me an idea of a fair market value on these cars? They are all good restorable cars and solid but need full restoration. He wants to sell them as soon as we find a "fair" value to put on them.
Thank you all for your time, Stephen

Posted on: 2012/2/17 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 3 old packards, barn find stash
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New barn finds always exciting! The 37 certainly isn't a "160", no such model in that year - perhaps it's a "Super Eight"? Best to provide the vehicle numbrer plate information to get positive identification of year and model.

I don't think anyone would even hazard a guess at value without pictures, knowing what parts might be missing, and some further details about conditions not shown in the photos. Don't get your heart set that you're looking at big $.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 15:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Packardrat
See User information
I know exactly what you are saying about needing to know what you are looking at first. Also, I dont have my heart set on anything until its in my hand. LOL!!! Cars just dont bring what they used to. Ok, I'll get photos!! Thanks very much!!! ST

Posted on: 2012/2/17 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
One of the biggest things, outside of the pictures, is the VN number as previously mentioned. This is found on the plate. I believe it will be located on the firewall driver's side. The 1940 should start with a 18?? for example. We can identify the exact models and rarity based on those numbers usually. After that, detailed pictures are a must.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 12:32
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Packardrat
See User information
Friends,
I am terribly sorry for getting back late on these three cars I had questions on.
The 1940 is a 120 convertible, the 1937 is a super eight, and the 36 I could not get to the tag.
Many parts to the 1940 Packard are sitting next to it on the bench. EX. Front hood, radiator, wheels, headlights etc.

I do have photos though. The 1940 conv. originally did not have side mounts, and the owner wanted them so he found a front clip and mounted it on the car so that's how it is now. Sadly the original front is sitting outside for lack of space. (It wasn't in a wreck, its just what the owner wanted)

The two sedans, the 37 and 36, are in sad shape but have many parts. Both have banjo steering wheels.

I would like to find out what these cars might be worth at the present time?
Please could someone Just need a rough guestimate?
Stephen

Attach file:

jpg  (99.87 KB)
4379_4f49aa3dab1f3.jpg 1280X846 px

jpg  (131.80 KB)
4379_4f49aa7e879ec.jpg 1280X977 px

jpg  (86.93 KB)
4379_4f49aac17ff87.jpg 718X1080 px

jpg  (116.44 KB)
4379_4f49abe4e6e6b.jpg 1280X1039 px

jpg  (98.99 KB)
4379_4f49abf758429.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2012/2/25 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hello Packrat,
Based soley upon what I see, I'd be hesitant to classify these as "restorable" from an economic standpoint - the cost of restoration might very likely exceed their restored value. I am assuming none of them are custom bodied cars and seem to be high volume production cars. These look like extremely serious projects or even worse, parts cars. I suggest you find a copy of Old Cars Report Price Guide, check out the condition rating descriptions and decide which rating best describes the cars. Or better yet, look around for a Packard expert who can examine them more closely for a condition rating. For what it is worth, according to the April 2012 issue of the price guide, in No. 6 condition (Parts cars):

1940 120 conv. -$2400
1936 120 Sedan - $1080
1937 Super Eight Sedan -$1440

Hope this is helpful.
Mark
Palmer, AK

Posted on: 2012/2/25 23:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Packardrat
See User information
Mark,
Thank you kindly for the information. Sounds great!!
Stephen

Posted on: 2012/2/26 0:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I just purchased and parted out a very similar 37 Super 8.
I'm sure I speak for may of us, please let us know the intended fate of these cars - they look pretty bad, but still have value as projects or parts cars.
Count me in as a potential buyer...oh, and is there even a rear axle in the '40? - I hate it when cars are not on 4 wheels, real PITA to move...

Posted on: 2012/2/26 9:24
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Packardrat
See User information
Hello,
And Thanks for all the responses.
Everything is there for the 40 that I can see except the rear bumper. The cars wheels were taken off for storage and are sitting off to the side. I guess the best thing to do is to put all the parts on it then try to sell. The 40 is very solid except for the lower door on the passenger side, a quarter size hole in the floor, and a little area in the front of the rear fender well on the drivers side.
There are many parts in the trunk.
I will try and list these cars on the forum when I find out what the owner wants to do.
Stephen

Posted on: 2012/2/26 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
40 convertible is worth approx. $7500 retail, 37 super 8 approx $3,500, 120 sedan approx $1,500

Posted on: 2012/3/2 21:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved