Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Regulator and Charging Issues
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

cdorsey
See User information
Hoping someone may be able to provide some incite into this problem. I'm working on a 1940 110 with a charging issue and am completely stumped at this point. This issue has been present since I purchased the car.

The amp meter shows a slight discharge when first started and this progressivley increases as its driven. Headlights and turn signals increase the discharge. Momentarily grounding the Field terminal on the regulator will get it to charge for a short period of time but then it will go back to discharging. It will also show that it's charging by connecting the "BAT" and "Arm terminals.

I have bench tested the Autolite generator and it is good. I am on my third regulator and am considering a 4th. I polorized the system when the 2nd regulator was installed and generator was bench tested. I have also gone through all the terminal ends and grounds to make sure they are good and clean. It has a brand new battery and new 00 cables. The current regulator is a 6V POS/NEG unit from NAPA.

I have traced the three wire hooked to the regulator and it appears that they are all hooked correctly. There is however a loose wire w/ no terminal end that is near the regulator that is hooked to the ignition switch. Is it possible that it should be hooked to one of the regulator terminals?

Does anyone have any thoughts? I appologize for writing a novel but as I said, I'm totaly stumped at this point. Thanks in advance for the help and ideas.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 11:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Regulator and Charging Issues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you looked at the A.E.A. wiring diagram?

http://www.packardclub.org/wiring/1940wiring-6cyl.JPG

If I'm reading it correctly it shows a 4th connection at the regulator.

PS - I must say I'm surprised by the number of folks who have generator/regulator issues and I wonder how much of it is due to incorrect parts or poor diagnosis/repair. I've driven my 2 Packards for tens of thousands of miles, one for over 45 years, and other than new generator brushes and perhaps a bearing or bushing replacement on the rarest of occasion, have never had an issue of any sort. And with one exception none of my local Packard buddies have ever had any issues either.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 11:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

cdorsey
See User information
If I am reading this diagram correctly, the 4th wire is a ground that runs from the relay to the headlight distribution block and then down to the generator. My setup does have this ground wire. Guess I forgot to mention that that one was hooked up as well. Thanks for the additional schematic.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 12:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I wouldn't suggest going with a 4th regulator. There has to be something being overlooked. An open armature will act along the lines of what you have going on, but it would be unrealistic for someone to come on here and tell you "Such and such" has to be the problem. I work on generators day in and day out and I can't diagnose electrical problems over a forum. One question I have after reading your initial description is, After you hook Bat & Arm up to get a charge, does it charge indefinitely or die off as well? By the way, when you are doing this, you are bypassing the cutout coil of the regulator. I'd be glad to try and help you, feel free to contact me with any questions.
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2012/2/24 22:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved