Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vacuum gauge install
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I would like to install a StewartWarner vacuume gauge in my '53 2bbl Clipper when I get her back together, and am not sure where I should pull my vacuume tap from. I don't have power brakes, so as I remember there is a vac tap in the manifold on the backside of the plenum...would that be a good vac source? I don't really want to T into the line going to the distributor.
Thanks for your advice. If I have to drill and tap a whole in the plenum area, I could also do that, but if there is an available tap, then all the easier.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:19
 Top  Print   

Re: vacuum gauge install
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The line to the distributor doesn't give a correct manifold vacuum reading under all engine conditions anyway, so it's a poor choice for that reason as well. Is there not a take-off and plug directly into the intake manifold to the rear of the carburetor or just beneath the carburetor? That would be a suitable location.

PS - it might even be in additon to the take-off for the power brake as most engines of this era had a port to use a vacuum gauge during tune-up.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 15:57
 Top  Print   

Re: vacuum gauge install
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have a vacuum gauge hooked up all the time for tune-ups. I used the vacuum for the power brakes and teed from that. Perhaps your car has the takeoff for that also. I run a direct-reading oil pressure gauge also.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.48 KB)
23_4f447804010ce.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/2/22 0:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved