Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Wile Family's Second Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, spring is finally upon us and what better way to celebrate the coming of Spring than to purchase a new set of tires for one's Packard! There was a sale at Sears for 235/75R15 Guardian tires a few weeks back and I decided that there was no time like the present to put new rubber on the Four Hundred. I had purchased a set of re-painted rims a while ago and had the new tires mounted on them. I decided to go with blackwalls as I like the look. I'm going to feel much better driving around this Spring with good rubber on all four wheels.

My major project on the Fourt Hundred is to track down a coolant leak in the heater. I had re-done the heater coil some time ago and I hope that this is not the source of the leak. An old hose as the culprit would be welcome news.

Attach file:

jpg  (165.15 KB)
3929_56f4290176a2f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (106.22 KB)
3929_56f42917046ae.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/3/24 12:54
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=http://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Heater leaks can be somewhat deceptive. If it is definitely coming from inside the box then core or a header. It might be possible that water is squirting from a loose clamp landing inside the box but with hoses usually well outside I wouldn't hold out much hope.

If there is a wet spot on the ground and it is not running out the air vent where the duct hose connects it could be a hose from around the thermostatic valve leaking and running down the firewall. I had that happen but the usual problem with the valve is the rubber seal around the stem gives up. Water runs down the inside of dash under dash pad and carpet. It can pool under carpet or sometimes drops out the hole for body to frame bolt location and onto the ground.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 13:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Howard, I think that you hit the nail right on the head with your last possibility. I had re-filled the radiator with clean water and then started the car. As it was running, water was pouring out of the heater valve down the inside firewall and pooling on the floor under the carpet.

Do the photos look anything like a seal problem rather than a leaking heater core?

Attach file:

jpg  (96.76 KB)
3929_56f44af271223.jpg 1056X792 px

jpg  (70.24 KB)
3929_56f44b00d3175.jpg 1099X824 px

jpg  (128.11 KB)
3929_56f44b146558f.jpg 1127X845 px

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:10
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
most likely the seal is bad in the Ranco valve. Repair kit at NAPA is about $10 if you want to tackle it yourself. I believe there is a "how to" on this website somewhere, look in the literature section. I've also seen articles and videos on the internet.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:34
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That it. Frequently it runs behind the dash pad and carpet and you never see it -- keep smelling the antifreeze odor but don't know where it is coming from until the carpet gets wet or soggy.

You can download BigKevs instructions on how to replace a Ranco heater valve seal from the how to section and order the seal at NAPA. Not too bad a repair although sometimes bending the tabs over to release the tube from the mount and housing without damaging the tab is a pain.

With what appears to be a fair amount of liquid it is probably the seal but there is a slim chance a hose is leaking at the clamped fitting. With the hose usually butting right into the opening in firewall a leak can easily come inside and appear like a seal problem.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I did a rebuild of mine using Kev's instructions. not bad, but yes bending the tabs are a PITA! I don't even know if mine works, but it held compressed air pressure so that is good news I hope.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
while you are there with a camera...can you take some pictures of the firewall pad and heater plenum. I didn't take very good pics of all of that when I took it apart and it would help in my reassembly soon.

thanks

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:53
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Good Point!

Posted on: 2016/3/24 16:10
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved