Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 107

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

V8 oil Pump ID?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
I opened up the 1955 marine V8 today. Curious if the oil pump is the standard Packard variety with a solid base or perhaps the Nash/Hudson version? The casting number on the side is 471083 and the number on the bottom plate 471007. Also notice the enlarged oil pan with a copper cooling coil and custom windage tray. I guestimate the capacity to be perhaps 3 gallons. After I clean it up I'll measure and post the results.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 19:53
 Top  Print 

Re: V8 oil Pump ID?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
photo 1

Attach file:

jpg  (114.30 KB)
123_4f4ad5680c4b6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (115.40 KB)
123_4f4ad5aa0619b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (104.68 KB)
123_4f4ad5d69a3dc.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (101.48 KB)
123_4f4ad60d9db48.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 20:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Keith you are an oil-pump maniac, but I thank-you again. My car survives today due to the work you and others put in solving Packard's dirty little secret!

Attach file:

jpg  (259.99 KB)
20_4f4adb74a8ae0.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 20:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks Packard8 for posting the pics. That is a Hash pump. It is NOT the pump that Packard motor car company used in PAckard built automobiles.

While u have the oil pan removed measure the piston and/or cylinder diameters please so we can determine if it is 320, 352 or 374.

Also look at the crankshaft journals to determine if the ROD journals are hollow or solid. IF solid it is a forged crank.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kevin AZ. Glad u like the Olds oil pump conversion. I sure like mine too.

My part in the developement of it was rather minor. The real thanks goes to Turbopackman for discovering it and just as much thanks to Craig for his tireless effort to actually produce the conversion kit. Now Jack Vines is producing the kit. I feel honoured to have been able know and participate with you, Eric, Craig and Jack on this effort.

And yes, i can get a bit intense over things, maybe more than i should. We all have cars. We want to drive them. What ever it takes to make it happen is all that counts. Sometimes strained relations develope over details of any human endeavour. It's just part of the nature of man.

Most of the thanks goes to Craig, Eric and JV for their high level efforts and close attention to detail.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The Hash oil pump has been pretty well documented, but I've always wondered how the AMC engineers knew this was a weak point and addressed it at the beginning, while the Packard engineers ignored it.

At a glance, the modified oil pan appears to be from a Packard. Anyone have a photo of the Hash pan for comparison?

One other mystery remains to be solved. In the August 1955 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, there is a many page article, with detailed description and specifications of "Packard's Hot New V8".

One statement, which I've only ever seen in that article, claims the Hash versions were to be equipped with steel camshafts.

Steel camshafts require chilled iron lifters. I've never seen any mention in any parts books of different lifters for Hash engines.

While your marine engine is apart, can you check the camshaft, photograph it, with special attention to any casting numbers or other identifiers?

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/2/27 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
@ PV8: by the block casting # it is a 1955 320 cid and the crankshaft is cast (I was hoping to find a forged one, but no such luck!)

@ Jack Vines: The oilpan has a different rear profile than the Packard version and the drain plug (now brazed shut) is in a different location so I assume they started with the Hash version and modified it with both a side drain as well as the pipe extending up to suck the oil out with a pump. I'm not sure I'll pull the motor down further, as my plan is to swap the marine parts (oilpan, marine manifolds and cooling system) over to a built-up 1956 374 I have sitting around. Hopefully the new marine motor will find its way into a classic wood speedboat when I take it to the Lake Tahoe Classic Boat Show this summer.

Cheers,

John

Posted on: 2012/2/27 12:28
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved