Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 97

r1lark, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Oil Filter Lines
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok can someone check something for me. I have this picture of oil line routing from an earlier motor (there is no picture of the line routing for the 51-54 motors in the service manual or part plates).

Click to see original Image in a new window

If you follow the oil filter lines (as I am reading it), it appears it comes from the pressure sender "T" and then goes to inlet on the side of the filter, and then the output (on the bottom) or the filter drains back in to the pan via a block fitting above the pan.

But on my filter (which is a Packard labeled filter), the fitting on the bottom is stamped "Inlet" and the one on the side is stamped "Output". So this picture is confusing me as it appears backward to how my filter is labeled. My filter was no plumbed correctly to start with. So can some take a picture of their 51-54 and let me know how it was originally plumbed.

Thanks,

Attach file:

jpg  (23.74 KB)
1_47f95ae9abd1b.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (17.58 KB)
1_47f95af4cbab0.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (16.88 KB)
1_47f95afca4b0a.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  (19.96 KB)
1_47f95b05a4c48.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Filter Lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
BIGKEV: I will take some pictures of my 53 engine bay and post them on Monday night for you.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/6 20:36
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'd be interested to see the outcome of this. I recently installed a used canister from Kanter which did not have inlet/output engraved on it. I used the same engine illustration you have above to figure out where the oil lines went. It seemed logical to me that the oil flow would be from the outside of the filter (side fitting) to the restricted flow tube running up the center of the canister and then back out to the engine (bottom fitting). Anyway that's how I interpreted the illustration for my '50 356 custom. If my canister had been labeled as yours is... I would have been equally baffled.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 9:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've got the installation diagrams that Packard provided with the factory accessory filter kits supplied to dealers for installation on cars that were factory-shipped without them (generally, the non-hydraulic lifter models). The diagrams are a bit crude but if you want a copy, send me a PM with your email address and remind which you want, 48-50 or 51-54.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 11:53
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

I will take a copy of the 51-54 is you would be so kind. (bigkev@packardinfo.com)

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2008/4/7 14:11
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
BIGKEV: I tried taking some pictures but they didn't come out very well.

Here are how my oil line are routed coming off my oil filter assembly. The one at the top side of the filter the line runs down along the engine to about the middle into a TEE. On the tee is connected the oil sender assembly, then a line branching of to a thread opening about half in the block down near the bottom of the block.

At the bottom of the oil filter assembly a line runs directly to thread opening right below the filter near the bottom of the block near the front of the engine.

I hopes this helps you.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/7 18:22
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

H Glynn Elliot
See User information
Kev,

Attached is a photo of my 1953 Mayfair with 327 9 main bearing engine. The photo was taken before I removed any components. I believe this is the bypass setup.

Glynn

Attach file:

jpg  (56.42 KB)
287_47fab3fb4870d.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 18:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gelliott: That is the same way the oil lines are routed on my Cavalier, ie 327 five main bearing engine.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/4/7 19:11
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well the diagram Dave sent me, and the above picture and John's description are all the same. I wonder if my filter was just mislabled or something.

If I look back at how my car was plumbed before (even though not setup as a by-pass), the inlet feed was on the side, and the outlet from the bottom. So I guess that is how I will plumb it. Perhaps whomever stamped my filter was new that day.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 20:34
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I got the inlet line made. So that went pretty smoothly.

Trying to remove the plug in the block that drains back in the pan for the return line was a bear. I don't think that plug has been touched since it rolled off the line at Grand Ave in '54.

But I finally broke it loose. Then I discovered that the plug is actually a smaller size (3/16) than the fitting on the bottom of the filter (1/4). So I need to pick up a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter to be able to finish plumbing the lines.

So far all the new lines look good and straight with nice smooth bends. Not like the rusted lines I had before, which had more kinks that a New York Governor!

Attach file:

jpg  (28.70 KB)
1_47faeabaf3783.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2008/4/7 22:49
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved